Discuss EICR report - extent of testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you also hire out at a cost to the client a cherry picker or scaffolding to test all the high bay lighting as well in workshops,warehouses etc??
The client is given the choice to include the fee for access equipment if no then no go. But I believe you digress from the testing of computer circuits in commercial premises. What I believe happens in most cases is a discussion takes place along the lines of, Don't worry we won't interfere with your work because any IT/computer circuits we won't test and record a Limitation how does that sound. Oh and any unidentified circuits we leave as well so you won't actually know we were here.
This is how it goes there is no discussion of how the computer circuits are going to be tested because it is not even considered.

The client is given the choice to include the fee for access equipment if no then no go. But I believe you digress from the testing of computer circuits in commercial premises. What I believe happens in most cases is a discussion takes place along the lines of, Don't worry we won't interfere with your work because any IT/computer circuits we won't test and record a Limitation how does that sound. Oh and any unidentified circuits we leave as well so you won't actually know we were here.
This is how it goes there is no discussion of how the computer circuits are going to be tested because it is not even considered.
That's a very narrow view you have there.
Whilst I believe that this sort of thing can happen and it makes people's life easier to simply record a limitation, the other side is that the clients only see a down time in productivity of their staffs work and as such are within their right to refuse that certain circuits are left on and uninterrupted.
You can't force someone to turn off equipment be it computers/ servers, security systems.
I've tested in a medical practice where fridges housing medical drugs where at the upmost not to be turned off.
To say you can 100% test all circuits in every installation you test commercial domestic and industrial is unrealistic in my view and that won't change.
Op is talking about domestic which is more possible.

And please don't question my integrity .
You don't know me so keep your opinions on that to yourself!

Last edited:
I realy don't like limitations on eicr's, but I recall one EICR I did in a small recording studio where I was not to interfere with a circuit that was operating recording equipment.
I was told in no unsertain terms not to turn that circuit off as the cost implications where severe. This made it dificult for the rest of the EICR as the circuits where not clearly identified.
I got the client to identify the circuits breaker I couldnt turn off. He was unable to identify it.

Basically it meant I couldn't take the front cover of one of the DB's and some circuits where not fully tested if at all.

The job took me half a day instead of a full day as only half the tests and inspections where carried out.

I nearly marked this EICR as unsatisfactory due to incomplete testing under the heading FI further investigation, but I didn't.

What I did was made it absolutely clear what had not been tested.

If I had known before arrival I would have done the job on a weekend or late evening.

This job was a favour for someone as I really don't like doing eicr's.
I normally over price them in the hope they won't say yes.

im recently qualified and have now been taken by a company as a spark. Part of my job now sometimes involves conducting eicr reports in domestic properties/hmo. I was wondering how much of the installation people test in a 'real life situation'. QUOTE]

Well, if your job is to conduct the EICR's best you know what the customer has been promised before you go to site.

If its a previously tested site and you have access to the old EICR then the scope of works may be different to an untested site. If the property is 1950's or 2010 the scope may well be different.

Have fun.

im recently qualified and have now been taken by a company as a spark. Part of my job now sometimes involves conducting eicr reports in domestic properties/hmo. I was wondering how much of the installation people test in a 'real life situation'.

Well, if your job is to conduct the EICR's best you know what the customer has been promised before you go to site.

If its a previously tested site and you have access to the old EICR then the scope of works may be different to an untested site. If the property is 1950's or 2010 the scope may well be different.

Have fun.

(re-posted to make it clearer!)

Reply to EICR report - extent of testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net