Discuss Eicr reports in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is it a statutory requirement by law that Caravan (touring) Parks and Marinas be inspected / tested each and every year? If so, who implements that this must be done? The reason I'm asking this, as you know BS7671 is not statutory. I know it carries a lot of weight if any thing should go wrong etc, but just wondered. Thanks

Last edited:
While you are correct to say BS7671 is not statutory, it may be used against you if something bad happens and it has not been followed, so it sort of is in all but name.

Back to your caravans parks and whatnot, the owners/landlords do have a statutory duty of care to ensure they are safe for use, and must take reasonable precautions to ensure that is the case, having the EICR at the recommended intervals done is one way of proving they have taken reasonable steps.

While it may not be against the law per se to omit these EICRs, they may find that their insurance is void if they don't.

It need not be necessarily an EICR, for instance bigger firms/organisations may have their own maintenance and record keeping personnel which is another way to prove reasonable steps have been taken

Last edited:
While you are correct to say BS7671 is not statutory, it may be used against you if something bad happens and it has not been followed, so it sort of is in all but name.

Back to your caravans parks and whatnot, the owners/landlords do have a statutory duty care to ensure they are safe for use, and must take reasonable precautions to ensure that is the case, having the EICR at the recommended intervals done is one way of proving they have taken reasonable steps.

While it may not be against the law per se to omit these EICRs, they may find that their insurance is void if they don't.

It need not be necessarily an EICR, for instance bigger firms/organisation may have their own maintenance and record keeping personnel which is another way to prove reasonable steps have been taken

Thanks for that. Great point you made re maintenance /records.

Yes, but that is BS7671 saying that which is not statutory.

[FONT=&amp]Would it be the Electricity at work act 1989. Basically if owners / customers didn't have their sites tested annually, what can actually happen? It may come to light if insurance companies ask. [/FONT]
Opps, sorry about BOLD print!.

The reason I asked was, it's come to light that 2 jobs I know of, have not had any yearly EICR'S carried. One had an EIC when new installation installed and was recommended for an EICR 10 yrs! It should of had an EICR carried out 1 year later and annually thereafter. Another had nothing at all! Both jobs require licences to operate etc. So just wondered how can theses situations arise and no one knows? Could it be that just a small % of businesses get away with it? Above jobs Caravan (touring) and marina.

I know of half a dozen caravan/camping sites that have no maintenance operative and haven't been inspected and tested for years. LA are too busy too care and owners aren't arsed either.

Reply to Eicr reports in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock