Discuss EICR required for Part P installations? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SO OP...Whoever told you that, you need to ask them what if it is a person with very little money who wants a socket moving say £30.00 and you say, well I will have to do an EICR, and if I find faults you may have to have them rectified which could cost you up to £3000.00 for a full rewire, or at least £200.00 for an EICR and any works on top. Do you think you will ever get the job? or any job for that matter?

SO OP...Whoever told you that, you need to ask them what if it is a person with very little money who wants a socket moving say £30.00 and you say, well I will have to do an EICR, and if I find faults you may have to have them rectified which could cost you up to £3000.00 for a full rewire, or at least £200.00 for an EICR and any works on top. Do you think you will ever get the job? or any job for that matter?

An advisor of a part p scheme. I agree with what you say but it seems other schemes do the same as well. I dont get it because i dont think they can just change the rules as they please.

An advisor of a part p scheme. I agree with what you say but it seems other schemes do the same as well. I dont get it because i dont think they can just change the rules as they please.

Which scheme ? And what position does this person work in, assessor or telesales staff ?

Take with one massive pinch of salt the advise you think you are getting from the scam provider
Either they have moved to Mars and don't now live in the real world or the advise they have given is being interpreted wrong by yourself

Either way do what the regs suggest regards assessing additional loading,the earthing and bonding etc and most importantly make sure the price you charge is making the job worthwhile and the job you do is of a good standard

Use these schemes for the one and only beneficial service they provide "notification process" and get the requirements for installation work from the good book,try and ignore some of the stupid suggestions they are prone to make

Take with one massive pinch of salt the advise you think you are getting from the scam provider
Either they have moved to Mars and don't now live in the real world or the advise they have given is being interpreted wrong by yourself

Either way do what the regs suggest regards assessing additional loading,the earthing and bonding etc and most importantly make sure the price you charge is making the job worthwhile and the job you do is of a good standard

Use these schemes for the one and only beneficial service they provide "notification process" and get the requirements for installation work from the good book,try and ignore some of the stupid suggestions they are prone to make

Whilst I hole hardheartedly agree about the "notifying" thing, I have seen other members have said previously that being with a certain scam (not saying which coz I aint advertising them!), has helped them win contracts etc. Never worked like that for me but most of my clientele were more interested in the price.lol

Jay

It must be crossed wires somewhere?? Why would any scam say something like that? They may have mentioned the need for the insurance if carrying out EICR's and that's whats confused the OP??

Jay

I think your right,he seems well confused by it all

Agreed the right or wrong being Nicy approved opens doors

It must be crossed wires somewhere?? Why would any scam say something like that? They may have mentioned the need for the insurance if carrying out EICR's and that's whats confused the OP??

Jay

It didnt confuse me because i spoke to them for ages about this because it made no sense but they still said unless i get the indemnity insurance i cant do any work unless I get someone to do an EICR first. I will email them as someone said on here and see if they say the same in the email reply. So even adding to a circuit has to have a EICR.

It didnt confuse me because i spoke to them for ages about this because it made no sense but they still said unless i get the indemnity insurance i cant do any work unless I pay someone to do an EICR first. I will email them as someone said on here and see if they say the same in the email reply.

Unlikely they will say the same because it will probably be a different person. Maybe the person you spoke to was new and it was them confused but certainly someone was.lol

Jay

Don't mention the previous call - make the email completely new enquiry. Start afresh, be happy!

132.16 Additions and alterations to an installation
No addition or alteration, temporary or permanent, shall be made to an existing installation, unless it has been ascertained that the rating and the condition of any existing equipment, including that of the distributor, will be adequate for the altered circumstances. Furthermore, the earthing and bonding arrangements, if necessary for the protective measure applied for the safety of the addition or alteration, shall be adequate.

GN3 does mention "it should be considered when carrying out alteration to an existing installation"
Maybe we should collectively lobby IET regards this issue??

OP you may find that the scheme has additional requirements above and beyond what the regs require. By becoming a member of the scheme you may have unwittingly agreed to certain conditions and that's what they are now stating.
If you don't follow their "rules" you may void your membership.
I've heard a similar line from Storma.
Sorry read the first sentence, what tosh, please explain?

Oh for Gods sake I'm full of Chateaubriand and fried Mars Bars. I 'phoned & emailed' my scheme (Elecsa) countless of times asking for advice, and have never been suggested/advised/contrived/twisted/persuaded/convinced, anything other than is in BS7671 or part P. EMAIL THEM AND GET CLAIFICATION. Flipping heck Maureen.

There is no requirement to do an EICR before changing a circuit...

There is no requirement for Professional indemnity insurance when doing EICR's

There is no requirement for scheme membership to do EICR 's

Next....

OP you may find that the scheme has additional requirements above and beyond what the regs require. By becoming a member of the scheme you may have unwittingly agreed to certain conditions and that's what they are now stating.
If you don't follow their "rules" you may void your membership.
I've heard a similar line from Storma.

Are Stroma also saying every job needs a part p sparky to do an EICR first or pay someone to do it if you dont have indemnity insurance?

Reply to EICR required for Part P installations? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net