Discuss Eicr retrospective problem fault in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nikmet

-
Reaction score
Hi, I carried out an eicr in August 15 (satisfactory)
the property has changed hands and the new owners sparks has altered sockets and lighting.
i have been contacted saying there is a back feed between 2 mcbs at the consumer unit.
as it is 4 months since eicr and and alterations have been made since, the new owner is unhappy and wants to report to scheme provider and for me to sort it out.
where do I stand regarding this ?? it was ok when tested in August.
thanks for advice

So nothing has been noticed for 4 months?

In all honesty, the EICR is worthless the minute you walk out the door. All you are testing is the safety of the installation during the time you're there. Unless a fault can be proven to have been there when you tested it, and you've not put a limitation down that it's not been tested, I wouldn't worry about it. Ignore him, or give him a nice goodbye.

I told him since other sparks have made alterations there's not much I can do about it,
The house has now been re plastered decorated etc, new carpets, he is putting in a complaint to my scene provider about it, since considerable alterations have been carried out I'm unsure how they will see it?

I told him since other sparks have made alterations there's not much I can do about it,
The house has now been re plastered decorated etc, new carpets, he is putting in a complaint to my scene provider about it, since considerable alterations have been carried out I'm unsure how they will see it?

And that matey will be your "defence".

The client sounds like a right chancer!

Will you keep us posted as it may make interesting reading.

I can't see any reasonable person holding you accountable, given the scenario you have outlined. Out of interest, what exactly is the problem?

I can't see any reasonable person holding you accountable, given the scenario you have outlined. Out of interest, what exactly is the problem?
Not 100% as not physically had chance to check, but I believe they are saying two circuits are in effect linked and both mcb need switching off to isolate, definitely not the case before

So perhaps whoever did the electrical work had reason to remove one or more RFC cables from the MCBs, and put them back afterwards mixed up?

Might even be the owner, who doesn't understand the circuits, and having messed up the connections, wants someone to fix it for free!

Last edited:
There was no ring, just 2x radials with joint boxes all over the place feeding various sockets, I'm wondering if he has inadvertently linked them, mistaking for a rfc

Could also be the new onwers "electrician" didn't understand the circuits, and spun the owner a tale to get himself off the hook!

There is a customer service issue or challenge, and therefore opportunity, in this one, whatever the temptation may be to offer the running jump option.

No good you being happy and customer unhappy or vice versa. So how to get to both happy or Win/win? You have a reputation to protect, a potential new customer and a back lash from a lost customer bad referencing you potentially.

There is an existing and legitimate gap between your previous work and any new electrical work (including fault finding) to protect or maintain, and above posts indicate you have the right to walk away. In the alternative, though, consider offering to help. Price the help in hourly, day or fixed price terms. Identify the problem, price to fix it, and offer to do the work. Not saying you need to discount very much but price to protect good will and go some way to meet the customer.

just a few thoughts to offer an alternative approach, cheers.

Reply to Eicr retrospective problem fault in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock