Discuss Eicr in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigbaddave

Been to do EICR for a letting agent tonight which i do a few for, turns up and the owner has had the painters in.. Well I explain the test and code 1's are serious faults like live cables Etc.. You mean like this as she pulls the kitchen draw out.. The kitchen ring main cut to power a light in the cupboard and bare cables.. Mmmm yes thats a fail then... Not to mention the upstairs where the painter had removed every brass socket and switch to paint..

Been to do EICR for a letting agent tonight which i do a few for, turns up and the owner has had the painters in.. Well I explain the test and code 1's are serious faults like live cables Etc.. You mean like this as she pulls the kitchen draw out.. The kitchen ring main cut to power a light in the cupboard.. Mmmm yes thats a fail then... Not to mention the upstairs where the painter had removed every brass socket and switch to paint..

Mmmmmm....sounds like a good earner from all the remedials!!!lol

The funny thing is that no matter what the outcome of the EICR i very rarely get work from them for this agent, I do the test get the cash then thats it. House is rented out in next few weeks and thats it..

The funny thing is that no matter what the outcome of the EICR i very rarely get work from them for this agent, I do the test get the cash then thats it. House is rented out in next few weeks and thats it..

Thats probably coz they know Dave from the pub who can do the small stuff but isnt qualified, or registered!!!lol Im pretty lucky that way..I always get the remedials on the EICR's that I carry out.....but I always tell the customer that they DONT have to have me doing them and this seems to work!!!

In your case, it may be wise for them to have you do the work....especially if its a few C2's....Dave might not know how to sort them!!lol

I never quote for the work when I finish as i feel this makes people think im on the make.. Any C1'S are sorted there and then where possible. but 2's then i leave them with my findings.

However depending on the result I think a lot of people just want a cert regardless of out come. The only work i seem to get is the obvious stuff like damaged accessories etc.. Or the people that understand that there is a fault..

Failed one the other day for no Ze on a class 1 fitting, After explain what that meant the customer said "its ok there high ceilings therefore what is the chances of touching them"

I know we have a duty of care but we can not force people to do the work.. What I dont get what is the point of spending the £160 to get a test then not accepting the result

I never quote for the work when I finish as i feel this makes people think im on the make.. Any C1'S are sorted there and then where possible. but 2's then i leave them with my findings.

However depending on the result I think a lot of people just want a cert regardless of out come. The only work i seem to get is the obvious stuff like damaged accessories etc.. Or the people that understand that there is a fault..

Failed one the other day for no Ze on a class 1 fitting, After explain what that meant the customer said "its ok there high ceilings therefore what is the chances of touching them"

I know we have a duty of care but we can not force people to do the work.. What I dont get what is the point of spending the £160 to get a test then not accepting the result

Im hopeing this is a misprint??? I dont even do the C1's unless they say so....I always explain before hand that, if I find any C1's I will have to stop the EICR until the C1 is sorted...they normally give permission for me to do em before I start the job!!

Im hopeing this is a misprint??? I dont even do the C1's unless they say so....I always explain before hand that, if I find any C1's I will have to stop the EICR until the C1 is sorted...they normally give permission for me to do em before I start the job!!

Ha Ha.. Saves taking cover off DB i guess.. Although ive never had a TNCS comply using this method.. lol

since when has that been a 1 anyway.....
its a 2...

I find people think that when you go to do a eicr that,the outcome will always be satisfactory when a list of remedial work is needed that's,when it gets to the gritty stuff . I always do a quick visual b4 I start a eicr . as some of these Cilents expect u to do,the work as,well as the test etc

When people say to me can you come down and issue a EICR I always tell them that a EICR is like a MOT for a car and then explain that obvious faults will be a fail and there could be hidden faults ie N-E fault or no earth and I get them to check the water and gas earthing so before I turn up they are aware of what is required.

Reply to Eicr in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net