Discuss Eicr in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dlt27

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I have done a few EICR's before however could do with a bit of advice on what codes you more experienced guys would give these observations;
1 Old 3036 DB made up of wooden base/back. (C3?)
2 Underszed main bond. (C3?)
3 Cooker switch mounted 18" above cooker (C3?)
4 Mutiple cct's in MCB (C3?)
Thanks for any input.

There is no correct answer but you need to be confident with your own answers. Off the bat without seeing I would say:

1) C2 - wooden base DB coukd potentialy be dangerous.
2) C3 - as long as continuity is adequate.
3) C2 - potentially dangerous
4) C3 - as long as OCPD is rated appropriately to the conductor sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
1,2,4, no code. maybe a comment for 2 & 4.

3. C3.

IMO.edit: 2. code if <6mm.

There is no correct answer but you need to be confident with your own answers. Off the bat without seeing I would say:

1) C2 - wooden base DB coukd potentialy be dangerous.
2) C3 - as long as continuity is adequate.
3) C2 - potentially dangerous
4) C3 - as long as OCPD is rated appropriately to the conductor sizes.

i think I'd probably agree with this and say the same.

It's all a bit open to interpretation isn't it, probably thinking about it make the cooker switch a C3, the DB with wooden back, thinking about it again, I'd be C2.5, sitting on the fence.

The NIC do a testing and inspection on site guide, which will be going on the cheap now because of the new rules. There's a quick guide to codes in it, which is handy with the codes and regs numbers that correspond to them. 99% of them will still be good

See post 7, it isn't far off the mark IMO.

Ohhh I disagree there. Undersized earth - not dangerous but could be improved.

Wooden board - really?

multiple circuits - again not dangerous but could be improved

How can multiple circuits be in one MCB? It's one circuit!

If that's an EICR coding every new install I do will have a coding as the Smokies and a commonly used lighting circuit (yet to find an uncommonly used lighting circuit in domestic!!) are in together.

Any body has a wooden CU tell them they need a rewire, ask them if they can afford it and get out of there. Do not do anything last man in is responsible fail it on a visual charge them £30 quid and get out of there.

Any body has a wooden CU tell them they need a rewire, ask them if they can afford it and get out of there. Do not do anything last man in is responsible fail it on a visual charge them £30 quid and get out of there.
Total and utter nonsense!

I recently done a niceic solar course down south. The guy carrying out the course also carried out courses in eicr's. I put the question to him about what codes I should put to various observations ie ones that were safe but not up to current regs. (Ones I didn't think deserved a code). His reply was that anything that wasn't up to current regs. should be a code 3 because it would enhance the installation . I asked well why do away with the old code 4 then! I said I thought an eicr was carried out to see if an installation was in a safe condition not to see if it was up to current regs.
However he wouldn't have any of it...

Total and utter nonsense!
Eicr {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Reckon he was waiting for a bite boss!

Reply to Eicr in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock