Discuss EICR's and minimum qualifications in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

notoriousgib83

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I had a phone call today from a company asking me whether I'd be interested in performing some EICR's for them which they supply to the public. I am aware that someone considered a 'competent' person can perform these but what is the minimum qualification that would stand up in court proving competency?.

I have my 17th Edition, C&G 2330 and am on the Elecsa Part P scheme. I have performed many EICR's on industrial, commercial and domestic properties with another 2391 electrician acting as the head engineer. So I feel more than competent to perform an EICR on a domestic property on my own. However, there seems to be a grey area with regards to this in the regs which should be addressed. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Your advice would be much appreciated.

I would say the 2391 would be the minimum needed to prove competency in a court.

2391 would still be valid, whether it's been ended or not.

sintra was simply doing what we all do - referring to the inspection and testing qualification as 2391. it's just a generic term for I & T.

If your talking about a court of law then it will be subjective, Nowhere does it say that 2391 or equivalent is required. But if you make a huge mistake that should have been identified then they will want to know your experience' knowledge of bs7671, qualifications, public liability. Insurance companies will always look to find another culpable ie you if you get it wrong. If there are fatalities then get ready for a whole world of scrutiny
Ben

Remember a Scottish judge threw out a case as the 17th was to used to prosecute and he pointed out that it was a regulation and not a law

Reply to EICR's and minimum qualifications in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net