Discuss Election Fever in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The three day week was under the Heath government 1970-1974, doesn't really back your point.

The 'winter of discontent' was a series of strikes through the winter of 78-79. The unions after 4 years of pay restraint imposed by the Labour government opposed the 5% on the table. The Labour government had introduced public spending cuts to (successfully) control inflation. It's a common myth that Labour did not stand up to the unions, if this was true there would of been no 'winter of discontent'

It's interesting that you use a series of strikes to define a government when Labour are in power, do you do the same when the Tories are at the helm, there was a lot of industrial unrest through the 80s as you know. Is that a Tory success.

Finally the perception 'winter of discontent' was mainly a right wing media construct.
Derek Jameson the editor of The Daily Express said in 1979

‘We pulled every dirty trick in the book. We made it look like it was general, universal and eternal, whereas it was in reality scattered, here and there, and no great problem.’

The three day week was under the Heath government 1970-1974, doesn't really back your point.

The 'winter of discontent' was a series of strikes through the winter of 78-79. The unions after 4 years of pay restraint imposed by the Labour government opposed the 5% on the table. The Labour government had introduced public spending cuts to (successfully) control inflation. It's a common myth that Labour did not stand up to the unions, if this was true there would of been no 'winter of discontent'

It's interesting that you use a series of strikes to define a government when Labour are in power, do you do the same when the Tories are at the helm, there was a lot of industrial unrest through the 80s as you know. Is that a Tory success.

Finally the perception 'winter of discontent' was mainly a right wing media construct.
Derek Jameson the editor of The Daily Express said in 1979

‘We pulled every dirty trick in the book. We made it look like it was general, universal and eternal, whereas it was in reality scattered, here and there, and no great problem.’
I actually broadly agree with this.
When I said the unions were running the country was me basically referring to them going on strike when the country needed them to accept austerity. The fact that they did not back down and went on strike coupled with attacks from the right wing meant that the government of the day was defeated on the back of the unrest.
Ironically this stance by the unions at the time directly led to their own demise and the election of the Thatcher government along with the policies which we all know and love today haha.

As I said in this thread I blame Tory policies from 1979> for 50%+ of all the problems we face as a country today. I do not blame the Labour party of the 70's....or 80's for that matter. I certainly do not blame the unions in the 80's.....because that was not about pay rises it was fighting for their and others very lively hood.....something far too many people thought was just the "miners problem". All came home to roost when the "miners" were not able to buy their goods and services and they all went to the wall too.
People are better off in work. Government is better off if people are in work. The fact that the in the 80's the government took the decision that this was not necessarily correct and put millions onto the scrap heap.....in some cases that "scrap heap" still exists with the children of the 80's victims...and on it goes.
It is easy to say that people should "get on their bike" and find work and move to where the work is.....Again as we are finding out today not everyone can just up sticks and move down to London and the south.......stuff like that puts a tiny bit of pressure on housing/schools/nhs ect ect ect........

It is easy to say that people should "get on their bike" and find work and move to where the work is.....Again as we are finding out today not everyone can just up sticks and move down to London and the south.......stuff like that puts a tiny bit of pressure on housing/schools/nhs ect ect ect........

Cheeky when people make these kind of statements.

This Government tries to create hate towards people on benefit, divide and rule is their policy and its wearing a bit thin.

Fred Harrison's - Boom Bust is a very good read and gives a good insight into how the Tax system is a little unfair and that effects the poorer communities vastly.

Labour/SNP confidence and supply deal.

With the SNP pushing Labour back to the 'stimulus' position that both Labour and Lib dems held prior to 2010 election.

And maybe, the constitution will be back on tbe agenda.

I can't wait to get theses damned cataracts in me peepers sorted ....... I've struggled my wotsits off to read through 47 posts thinking the thread was about erections on hot nights. :dunce2:

Labour/SNP coalition with Labour guarenteeing they will allow the SNP a new vote on scottish independence as part of the deal in 2020.

Didn't stop the LibDems and renegading on their guarantee of no student tuition fees.
These donald duckers will do anything to get into some form of power.
Can't see it to be honest, the people of Scotland would never forgive the SNP if they jumped into bed with the tories, labour however wouldn't be such an issue as they have a lot of support up there, regarding the LIB DEMS, they are finished, not only did they go back on their promise regarding uni fees they promised the party faithful they would never agree with the 20% VAT rise, and they backed down on that also, I predict less than 30 MPs for them this time around, 20 more realistic in fact.

Crikey, and it could be called again in may 2016 as well then I suppose until a government can actually be formed?

Yup.... just look at Italian politics... but I suspect the UK population will soon get tired of chop and change and return to 2 party politics

Can't see it to be honest, the people of Scotland would never forgive the SNP if they jumped into bed with the tories, labour however wouldn't be such an issue as they have a lot of support up there, regarding the LIB DEMS, they are finished, not only did they go back on their promise regarding uni fees they promised the party faithful they would never agree with the 20% VAT rise, and they backed down on that also, I predict less than 30 MPs for them this time around, 20 more realistic in fact.

I don't really give a flying ---- who gets in, it'll make next to no difference to me.
The super rich will continue to get even wealthier at the expense of everyone else. This country is haven for them.
I've noticed recently that this particular topic is starting to get more airtime, and us plebians are becoming more aware.

I predict a riot! :smilielol5:

Reply to Election Fever in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock