Discuss Electric cooker feed SWA external in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
friend d mine has asked if I can install a cooker feed for him. He doesn't want any walls/flooring disturbed so he has asked can it be run externally.

I assume there are 2 options here, SWA and t+e with mechanical protection (conduit)

For the SWA option, once iv got it to the point of entry into the house where the switch will be, how would the termination into the switch work? Would I terminate/gland the SWA into a designated JB and then take the t+e to the switch through the wall or is there a way to terminate/gland the SWA into the switch directly?

Doing it externally would require breaking the building fabric twice, out from the CU and back in at the Cooker outlet, how far is the run from CU to Cooker? Why doesn't your mate want the flooring up?

He's just had nice flooring out down and doesn't want it disturbing. Iv not measured it but it's the same house and layout as mine so the run is about 5 metres (give or take)

If glanding externally I would gland into a conduit terminal box or adaptable box of your choice, have conduit coupled to the external box providing a route through the wall to the internal box, then pass the cable inner cores with the bedding still on through the conduit.

A new circuit is notifiable.

Ah I see, so just trim back enough of the SWA so that the inner cores have enough length to pass through the conduit (which runs from the back of the box through the wall) into the back of the switch. The terminate into switch.

Yes iv explained the options to him. I'm not signed up to a governing body yet so iv explained I would have to notify building control and inform them of the work to be undertaken and they will come and inspect and charge. Is that correct? Does anybody know how much that would cost?

I think each local authority have their own different charges, all extortionate. £300 is a year's Stroma membership though. You could use this as your example job and sign up if that's going to be a thing you are planning for the near future. You can notify it after you get enrolled.

That's not a bad idea. Would this be classed as a job suitable for a stroma inspection?

You would have to call them to check. I believe 2 new circuits are required as a minimum now I think about it.
Not really sure as my initial job I showed them had 6 new circuits so I didn't have to consider that.

Another plan would be to call Stroma or Napit and ask if there is a contractor in your area signed up for their third party notification schemes. They would have to be involved before work started though I believe.

Either that or call your local building control and find out their fees.

Umm, Another friend of mine is due a board change. Could I use that as an inspection job? There will be no new circuits, just a straight board change

Umm, Another friend of mine is due a board change. Could I use that as an inspection job? There will be no new circuits, just a straight board change

Stroma require new circuits I recall. Other schemes may let you use a CU change or a single new circuit, but they won't be as cheap to join.

Stroma may ask to see both jobs along with the certs...... Best ask them....

If you go down the swa route do the same both ends ...... Avoid unnecessary joints in circuits, but don't forget to run an earth from the board to the swa...

are you on about earthing the armouring Murdoch or are you talking a serperate earth for cpc?
You will need to run an earth to the armoring at the CU end and 1 from the armoring at the cooker position as well, that is of course if you intend to use the Armor as the cpc.

would it not be easier to just use one of the cores as a cpc from the CU to the cooker position?

Does the armouring have to be earthed? is it advisable to earth the armouring and then use a separate core for cpc?

would it not be easier to just use one of the cores as a cpc from the CU to the cooker position?

Does the armouring have to be earthed? is it advisable to earth the armouring and then use a separate core for cpc?
If you intend using a separate core as the cpc you will still need to earth the armour at the CU end. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but the questions you ask makes me wonder if you should be doing this work at the stage you are at in your training.

well iv installed SWA before so I'm comfortable with that. Iv always worked on the basis that the armouring should always be earthed and then use a seperste core for cpc.

However, I have read Somewhere recently that it's not advisable to do both but I suspect that in that situation someone was connecting the earth from the armouring together with the cpc

well iv installed SWA before so I'm comfortable with that. Iv always worked on the basis that the armouring should always be earthed and then use a seperste core for cpc.

However, I have read Somewhere recently that it's not advisable to do both but I suspect that in that situation someone was connecting the earth from the armouring together with the cpc
I believe that the limit for using the Armour as a cpc is @95mm2, due to the size equivalent between steel and copper, I recall seeing a chart somewhere, it is possible to use the armour as the means of earthing, but you will need to ensure the glands at both ends are properly terminated, by that I mean cleaning the box you intend using as a junction or using proprietary earthing lock nuts.

Reply to Electric cooker feed SWA external in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock