Discuss Electric Hand Dryers in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sl1210

Got to connect 4 x electric hand dryers tomorrow in 4 x different toilets. Was going to spur off the nearest socket point for each one, with an rcd spur by each dryer, via trunking/conduit.

Silly question, but do they need to be rcd spurred, if there is no shower???

Believe it or not they come with 3 pin plug tops. lol

toilet is not a special location, so the requirement for RCD protection only applies if sockets are fitted, as wiring is surface, so 522.6.101 does not apply.

so running a surge protected extension lead over the hand basin is a bad idea??? haha

i just thought because of wet hands, and the hand basin maybe rcd protection would be required, although i guess they are double insulated, although the be honest rcd spur units aren't cheap, and if i don't need to fit them then thats great

mount them high up then or they'll forever be getting switched off.

i know this and was going to put them originally for peace of mind. just wanted to know peoples thoughts.

i underestimated their cost in my quote, but am sure i've allowed more than enough on the labour to cover them. i hope

Couldn't you RCD the entire circuit at the consumer unit with an RCBO or separate RCD, rather than having four individuals? These days I think it is normal to RCD everything, unless there is a very good reason not to.

I would have thought the sockets were on RCDs anyhow, personally I would wire the handriers on seperate circuits if it wasn't too much hassle, better Job IMO.

its a small building that teaches english to foreigners. no rcd protection. fuseboards are old mcb types so you cant get rcbo's for them.

believe it or not the fuse boards for 2 of the 4 toilets are, yes you guessed it, in a door inside the toilet. lol. so could possibly supply them 2 direct from fuse board, although don't think there are spare ways

Fixed equipment, and not a special location, no need for RCBO unless disconnection times cannot be met IMO, however I would fit RCBOs if they were obtainable.

Just a thought, do the manf's instructions stipulate RCD protection required? Daz

i haven't looked mate. but i'm gonna put them anyway for piece of mind. i've managed to fine some for £16 each at screwfix ;)

Make sure that the circuit that you are joining in to isn't RCD protected before you fit RCD spurs, or you may end up going backwards and forwards to reset one or the other due to discrimination.

Cheers.............Howard

Reply to Electric Hand Dryers in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net