Discuss electric range cooker installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

anna anna

Hi there
i have a qestion about an electric range cooker installation and requirements. It looks like there are numerous possibilities??? which doesn't sound right, i have my family leaving with me and i cannot afford to take my chances.
Ok, So I have a flavel from currys (mln10crs) , electric cooker 13.5 kw to be installed.

which cable do i need? the lengh from the cooker to the fuse board is 9m , the cable would go in the wall and under the floor. how many amps do we need? what would be the size of the breaker?
Sofar I've been given 3 possibilities: 1. leave the 6 mm cable, 2. change to 1 mm, 3. change to 16mm.
I've done my math so possibly 59 amps in needed and 16 mm? Please help.

thanks

Hi there
i have a qestion about an electric range cooker installation and requirements. It looks like there are numerous possibilities??? which doesn't sound right, i have my family leaving with me and i cannot afford to take my chances.
Ok, So I have a flavel from currys (mln10crs) , electric cooker 13.5 kw to be installed.

which cable do i need? the lengh from the cooker to the fuse board is 9m , the cable would go in the wall and under the floor. how many amps do we need? what would be the size of the breaker?
Sofar I've been given 3 possibilities: 1. leave the 6 mm cable, 2. change to 1 mm, 3. change to 16mm.
I've done my math so possibly 59 amps in needed and 16 mm? Please help.

thanks
You are intending to get this work done by a competent Electrician aren't you?
The Electrician will discuss cable routing/sizing when he or she comes to survey the installation.

6mm maybe adequate for cookers upto 15kw as diversity can be applied to cooker circuits
First 10amps of the load + 30% of the remainder + 5 amps if there's a socket outlet incorporated in the cooker control unit.

Not sure were you got 1mm from tho or did you mean 10mm?

generally 6.0mm cable on a 32A breaker will suffice. the reason for this is that oven elements switch on/off frequently ( by their thermostats ) and the actual average current is a lot less than the kW rating would suggest. if the cooker is on a 6mm cable and a 32A breaker, the worst that can happen is tripping of the breaker. if that happens, you could then consider uprating cable and breaker, using this diversity, i'd estimate your current @ 25A ( assuming no socket outlet on cooker isolator.

40A fuse? a bit pessimistic aren't they.

manufacturers covering their own backside perhaps by stating 40 amp fuse.
Guess they've never heard of mcbs?

6mm maybe adequate for cookers upto 15kw as diversity can be applied to cooker circuits
First 10amps of the load + 30% of the remainder + 5 amps if there's a socket outlet incorporated in the cooker control unit.

Not sure were you got 1mm from tho or did you mean 10mm?
hi there, ys I.ve meant 10mm :)

hi there , so 6mm might be ok, but 10mm would be even better?? I would need to know :) my kitchen is in a full refurb stage so adding, removing or changing one more wire would be just fine.

You are intending to get this work done by a competent Electrician aren't you?
The Electrician will discuss cable routing/sizing when he or she comes to survey the installation.
I had three electritians and they had three different idea: 1. 6mm ok, 2. need to be change to 10mm 3. need to be changed to 16mm . hence my question

if you are in the process of a major refurb., then now is the time to up the cable to 10mm if your electrician advises so. but as long as the 6mm cable is not derated by being in insulation, it's good for 47A, so my choice would be to get it tested to prove it's integrity, and if test proves OK, then leave it in, along with the 32A MCB, which could be uprated to a 40A if required.

if you are in the process of a major refurb., then now is the time to up the cable to 10mm if your electrician advises so. but as long as the 6mm cable is not derated by being in insulation, it's good for 47A, so my choice would be to get it tested to prove it's integrity, and if test proves OK, then leave it in, along with the 32A MCB, which could be uprated to a 40A if required.
sorry to be a pain. how is it possibly that 6 mm would be ok? the old cooker is much smaller, etc. So overall you are saying that 10 mm would be better? and one more question, please, are you an electrician? my apologies, if it seems rude though

6mm cable , if installed in a void, clipped, and/or buried in plaster ( as opposed to being run in insulation) is good for 47A, and can be protected by up to a 40A MCB. bear in mind that your range cooker will never pull more than 30A due to diversity. this has been a rule of thumb for 60 years. and, in answer to your other question, i am a qualified electrical engineer with 40 + years experience.

hi there , so 6mm might be ok, but 10mm would be even better?? .

if 6mm is ok then 10mm will also be ok, it won't be better, it'll just be a marginally more expensive version of ok.
If 6mm is ok then any cable of that size or greater will do the job, although if you go too big then you'll have trouble terminating it.

Hi Anna, to work out if 10mm might be required it would be good to know the detail of the cable run - its length and its installation method. In the right conditions the 6mm will be ok, but that's what your Electrician can best assess on site. I can't imagine needing 16mm :)

Reply to electric range cooker installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock