Discuss electric range cooker installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Anna, to work out if 10mm might be required it would be good to know the detail of the cable run - its length and its installation method. In the right conditions the 6mm will be ok, but that's what your Electrician can best assess on site. I can't imagine needing 16mm :)
ok, so it is 10 m lengh from the consumer unit plus an extra 1.5 m from the oven to the socket (in order to be able to move the cooker). the cable will be running under the floor and partially in the wall. So up from the socket (in a wall) then uder the floor boards and then to the consumer unit. thanks

6mm is fine.
Tho it makes no difference to anyone on here as it's your electricians decision as he's installing the circuit and certifying it.

6mm cable , if installed in a void, clipped, and/or buried in plaster ( as opposed to being run in insulation) is good for 47A, and can be protected by up to a 40A MCB. bear in mind that your range cooker will never pull more than 30A due to diversity. this has been a rule of thumb for 60 years. and, in answer to your other question, i am a qualified electrical engineer with 40 + years experience.
thank you so so much. ok, just a crazy question, please, if I would turn on all at once: 2 ovens, 5 ceramic rings, grill and plate warmer (eg. during Xmas), wouldn't it make installation crush?? i had already some problems with an elecric shower and it was just 10 kw:-(

thank you so so much. ok, just a crazy question, please, if I would turn on all at once: 2 ovens, 5 ceramic rings, grill and plate warmer (eg. during Xmas), wouldn't it make installation crush?? i had already some problems with an elecric shower and it was just 10 kw:-(
You need to appreciate that a electric shower has a built in thermostat allowing no diversity to be applied to the circuit and is nothing really like an electric induction oven which incorporates heating elements which when reach temperature switch themselves off
No your electrics won't crush?
Whatever that means :)

You need to appreciate that a electric shower has a built in thermostat allowing no diversity to be applied to the circuit and is nothing really like an electric induction oven which incorporates heating elements which when reach temperature switch themselves off
No your electrics won't crush?
Whatever that means :)
thank you

just one more thing, please, but this time is not the cooker :)
it is about the lights. my kitchen diner has some downlights in the kitchen part and just one ceiling rose in the diner part, I am adding as well 2 x under cabinet lights. so those 3 types of lights ideally would be linked with one tripple switch. but, I would like to have them dimmable, is this possible?

although if you go too big then you'll have trouble terminating it. - sorry to ask, what do you mean by that?

What had caused you to ask all these questions? I know you have conflict of answers but you aren't an electrician so as long as it is installed, signed off and gives no problems what does it matter?

just one more thing, please, but this time is not the cooker :)
it is about the lights. my kitchen diner has some downlights in the kitchen part and just one ceiling rose in the diner part, I am adding as well 2 x under cabinet lights. so those 3 types of lights ideally would be linked with one tripple switch. but, I would like to have them dimmable, is this possible?

You can dim them as long as you have dimmable lights

The answer to the question that started this thread is written in the on site guide which a decent electrician should be aware of. I get this question regularly "oh the company came to fit the cooker and they said we need a bigger cable"...give me strength

although if you go too big then you'll have trouble terminating it. - sorry to ask, what do you mean by that?

The bigger the cable, the harder it is to work with, especially in the rather cramped conditions of a standard backbox for a cooker switch.
Plus I don't think 16mm would fit in the terminals of some brands of cooker switch.

That's a pretty odd kind of dinner you are cooking where you turn all elements on at the same instant.
The last time I cooked a Christmas dinner the oven was a long time before the hob.

But anyway, the elements will very quickly settle down as the thermostats start to kick in, this is kind of the point of cooker diversity calculations.

What problems did you have with the 10kW shower? That is different to a cooker as it presents a single 10kW load whereas a cooker is made up of separate loads.

Reply to electric range cooker installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net