Discuss Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The hobs display isn't lighting at all and it isn't tripping the circuit breaker. Have tested the cable with be of those cheap pens that you just hold near a cable and it flashes and beeps. When the 6amp circuit breaker is on it beeps, flick it off and it doesn't meaning that the MCB hasn't failed right?

The odd thing is that two identical hobs have been tried and neither will light up or anything.

Any ideas?

Hi,this is the sentence which worries me...who did this "testing by substitution?"

If it was the "electrician"...then,he is not.

Do we know if the magic wand bleeps when it is waved near the cable at the hob end?

Dear OP. Please note that those wand things are OK to give a general indication of the presence of a voltage in a conductor. But the hob will need continuity in the NEUTRAL conductor as well as the live conductor. And you aren't going to find that with a fairy wand.

You need a proper two probe voltage tester to determine this, or a multimeter at the very least.

I really do hope we find out the full story here.
Daz

If one can never get to the details,regarding exactly what occurs,during one of my missuses shopping trips...then,i have to believe,this would be even harder,on a anonymous forum :)

Basic,human nature,is to extol our virtues and luck,yet guard with fervour,our mishaps and short-comings.

Am i guilty of the same? ...only if i'm human ;)

If one can never get to the details,regarding exactly what occurs,during one of my missuses shopping trips...then,i have to believe,this would be even harder,on a anonymous forum :)

Basic,human nature,is to extol our virtues and luck,yet guard with fervour,our mishaps and short-comings.

Am i guilty of the same? ...only if i'm human ;)
PEG, do they have lectric on your planet:D

They are a sturdy unit. Wouldn't trust the switchgear as far as I could chuck it and the supplied blanks don't comply though.

Hmmm debatable, the lid in the closed position is surely the 'fire barrier' - it even has a securing screw ?
If the blank was non-compliant what about the switchgear, that's mostly plastic ?

Reply to Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock