Discuss Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Out of interest is he right? Is it normal to connect the live to 32amp and neutral to 6amp temporarily for a week until the hob is installed?
Absolutely not. Various ways of leaving it safe, but that definitely isn't one of them.

He could have connected up properly and then locked off the circuit breaker. Or left the line and neutral unconnected, and preferably earthed.

He put the N into a 6Amp Breaker and the L into a 32Amp breaker, are you sure about that statement? and he did it that way until you got the cooker installed?, you have either got what he said wrong, or he is a Dingle Berry, and needs his dangly bits beaten to a pulp. Just as an after thought how many cables feed your Hob and Cooker, I could understand him getting the Hob and Cooker mixed up. He seems to be talking scrotum's I'm assuming he had wired to a Cooker control unit which could have been made live, so all the cooker supplier had to to was to isolate at the CU connect up the cooker and Hob livened it up, and away you go, connecting the N to a 6Amp breaker never in a million years, did "the Electrician" belong to any of the CPS compenant Persons Schemes eg NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, STROMA etc if he did and what you say is correct then contact the scheme he belongs to, personally and it's not a dig at you being a non electrical type you probably didn't fully understand what he was saying, at least I hope that's the case, still glad it's all sorted for you now.

He put the N into a 6Amp Breaker and the L into a 32Amp breaker, are you sure about that statement? and he did it that way until you got the cooker installed?, you have either got what he said wrong, or he is a Dingle Berry, and needs his dangly bits beaten to a pulp. Just as an after thought how many cables feed your Hob and Cooker, I could understand him getting the Hob and Cooker mixed up. He seems to be talking scrotum's I'm assuming he had wired to a Cooker control unit which could have been made live, so all the cooker supplier had to to was to isolate at the CU connect up the cooker and Hob livened it up, and away you go, connecting the N to a 6Amp breaker never in a million years, did "the Electrician" belong to any of the CPS compenant Persons Schemes eg NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, STROMA etc if he did and what you say is correct then contact the scheme he belongs to, personally and it's not a dig at you being a non electrical type you probably didn't fully understand what he was saying, at least I hope that's the case, still glad it's all sorted for you now.

The cooker is on a 13amp plug on a socket which already existed and wasn't touched by him. The hob is on a new cable which he has installed on a new consumer unit.
It is one cable, quite thick (no idea how thick exactly but thick) with a live, neutral and earth in it. He left that with an isolation switch ready for the installer to wire into with the hob.

And I'm pretty sure I heard him correctly because I watched him too and he showed me what he had done. The 32amp breaker had a brwn cable in it and the 6amp had a blue in. He stuck his screwdriver in and pulled a cable from the 6amp, pushed it into the 32and tightened it up and as soon as he did that the hob beeped.

The cooker is on a 13amp plug on a socket which already existed and wasn't touched by him. The hob is on a new cable which he has installed on a new consumer unit.
It is one cable, quite thick (no idea how thick exactly but thick) with a live, neutral and earth in it. He left that with an isolation switch ready for the installer to wire into with the hob.

And I'm pretty sure I heard him correctly because I watched him too and he showed me what he had done. The 32amp breaker had a brwn cable in it and the 6amp had a blue in. He stuck his screwdriver in and pulled a cable from the 6amp, pushed it into the 32and tightened it up and as soon as he did that the hob beeped.
The only thing I can think (I'm not defending just trying to figure out what's happened) of is that its a 32a rcbo by the live already being in and then the neutral being connected after, with the 6a this could also have been a spare rcbo and connected into the neutral or an mcb that isn't connected via the busbar, just a hunch but a pic of the d/b would be helpful

Thankfully it's working now :)
With a new circuit to your hob and a new consumer unit you will be needing an Electrical Installation Certificate from your Electrician and your local council building services will need to be notified. Is your chap doing that for you? Have you confirmed he is on the competent persons register?
Competent Persons Register | Home - http://www.competentperson.co.uk/Default.aspx

He's on the register through niceic and he said that i would get a certificate. Does that just come through the post? And if so how long after the work being done?

Thanks again for all the help

He's on the register through niceic and he said that i would get a certificate. Does that just come through the post? And if so how long after the work being done?

Thanks again for all the help

Hum... I'm guessing you've paid him so will it actually be sent.

New circuit - EIC

Modified circuit - MWC

Is this a new circuit, and if you are in England or Wales you should get a LABC Part P certificate too

Something not right here. Put the neutral in some random live mcb to make it safe? Why? Just leave it in a chocky block in the back of the CU. Don't get that at all. Hage I missed something?

You need the cert, and he is obliged to fill it out and give it. It can be done immediately, but like tax returns it's amazing how easy it is to not do it. So perhaps contact and ask for the EIC (pretty please).

Hum... I'm guessing you've paid him so will it actually be sent.

New circuit - EIC

Modified circuit - MWC

Is this a new circuit, and if you are in England or Wales you should get a LABC Part P certificate too

Yeah I've paid him but I know his home address and his registration number so if I don't get me he will be reported.

Something not right here. Put the neutral in some random live mcb to make it safe? Why? Just leave it in a chocky block in the back of the CU. Don't get that at all. Hage I missed something?

That's what he did but in my opinion not why he did it. If he did it deliberately for the reason he says then he would have known that when I called him about it but he didn't mention anything about it till he saw inside the consumer unit. I think he's just put the cable in the wrong one and instead of being a man and admitting it he's tried to make an excuse and pretend it was deliberate.

You need the cert, and he is obliged to fill it out and give it. It can be done immediately, but like tax returns it's amazing how easy it is to not do it. So perhaps contact and ask for the EIC (pretty please).
Thanks I will do. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things that comes through the post a few weeks later

We should have had that as the forums Competition No. 3 no one would have got it. As has been said - he got it wrong then backpeddled to save face but we've seen through it. Glad it works - cup of tea?

Reply to Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net