Discuss "Electrical cables have a life, 15 to 20 years." in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Quote from the president of the chartered institution of building services engineers.

See below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35749075

Agree or disagree? Seems like a rather sweeping generalisation to me. I'd be interested to hear from those on here that might've had a role in maintaining historic buildings such as the Houses of Parliament. I refuse to believe they rip out cabling that is perfectly serviceable just because of an arbitrary time limit?!

I seem to remember learning about the lifespan of cables at college, quite a few years back now so I'm struggling to remember. 20 years does ring a bell - but I'm sure that was if it was run continuously at full operating current and temperature? Admittedly most of my work is small commercial/small industrial/domestic but I'm sure I've not come across many cables running at 70 degrees continuously.

So what do we think? I might be way wide of the mark but I would've put money on it that the HoP have some cables still in service that are a multiple of 3/4+ of 20 years in service. Is this guy just a massive jobsworth?!

When I had my last assessment (Stroma) the guy told me that if a house has cabling (so T&E) over 30 years old it needs ripping out and replacing, regardless. No IR tests, just replace. Bollox if you ask me. As far as I am aware 1) The actual copper never deteriorates, it is purely the insulation, 2) The condition of the insulation is totally dependant on the operating temperature over time and it can either be knackered or as good as new. The only way to tell is to test it?

Quote from the president of the chartered institution of building services engineers.

See below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35749075

Agree or disagree? Seems like a rather sweeping generalisation to me. I'd be interested to hear from those on here that might've had a role in maintaining historic buildings such as the Houses of Parliament. I refuse to believe they rip out cabling that is perfectly serviceable just because of an arbitrary time limit?!

I seem to remember learning about the lifespan of cables at college, quite a few years back now so I'm struggling to remember. 20 years does ring a bell - but I'm sure that was if it was run continuously at full operating current and temperature? Admittedly most of my work is small commercial/small industrial/domestic but I'm sure I've not come across many cables running at 70 degrees continuously.

So what do we think? I might be way wide of the mark but I would've put money on it that the HoP have some cables still in service that are a multiple of 3/4+ of 20 years in service. Is this guy just a massive jobsworth?!

Jobsworth and I was a civil servant so I know all about jobsworths

Everything manufactured has to be given a rated lifespan, cables are generally given 20years of constant use at full rated current.

What a load of cobblers. As we all know, only testing can indicate the condition of a cable.

I have tested VIR at 60 plus years old that has been good for continued service. I would expect most domestic PVC cable to last a good 40 years. I believe manufacturers give a 25 year life expectancy on most cable.
The only really knackered cables I have seen have been VIR and some 40-50 year old PVC that had been running at or over it's CCC for decades.

I'd say visual inspection especially at the accessories is equally important as testing but if insulation integrity is good then time is but an abstract.

I'd say this was utter nonsense, have seen and tested hundreds of old T&E cables, often imperial sizes and 40+ years old and generally they are absolutely fine. Of course it depends on the environment, T&E installed outdoors will become very brittle within maybe 10 years and obviously continuous overloading will cause problems but all installations are different.

When I had my last assessment (Stroma) the guy told me that if a house has cabling (so T&E) over 30 years old it needs ripping out and replacing, regardless. No IR tests, just replace. Bollox if you ask me. As far as I am aware 1) The actual copper never deteriorates, it is purely the insulation, 2) The condition of the insulation is totally dependant on the operating temperature over time and it can either be knackered or as good as new. The only way to tell is to test it?

I bet if the STROMA guy was told he needed to fork out a few grand to rewire his house which tested out perfectly fine he'd pretty soon change his tune. Always easy to spend other punters money.

Don't forget this is a news article, which means any technical content is likely to be 50% random nonsense and misquotes. Of course actual insulation life depends crucially on temperature, load and the exact composition of the batch of material it was made from. You could probably take a reasonably educated guess at the useful remaining lifespan of the installation with the aid of a few chemical analyses of typical cable runs and a survey of operating conditions. The problem with taking an educated guess in a high profile situation such as this is that no-one can afford to be wrong. The surveyor will err on the side of caution, and the people he reports to will shave a bit off that to cover their own backs, etc. etc. Before you know it nobody is prepared to vouch for it lasting more than a few years, even where it's in AOK condition now.

As I thought too.

It'd certainly be an interesting job rewiring the houses of parliament though, and a very big one needless to say! Not sure I fancy it though.

That is bit of an sweeping statement, load of rubbish, visual inspection and testing is the only way, environment , temperature, conditions will determine the life span of any cable.

As I thought too.

It'd certainly be an interesting job rewiring the houses of parliament though, and a very big one needless to say! Not sure I fancy it though.

Shouldn't be too hard, the whole place is wired in copper conduits with sweated brass fittings as far as I know so it should be a case of just pulling in some new singles

The actual work itself I'm sure I'd enjoy, it'd be all the hassle that goes with working in a place full of jobsworths maybe not.

Way back in the sixties we were never told to keep circuit runs separate, so we drilled holes in joists and ran cables from separate circuits through the same hoLe and got as many as we could through each hole. then when the 15th came out it was part of the regs to keep circuits separate in their runs. I would say going on the fact that there are more electrical appliances and larger power rating that a lot of these cable would run a "bit " warm and have HOT spots where they passed through these joists so on that basis, a lot of dwellings wired in pvc would be better off being rewired.
This is of course more than the specified 30yrs

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say visual inspection especially at the accessories is equally important as testing but if insulation integrity is good then time is but an abstract.

Love it Marvo. You bring a deep philosophical discussion about the abstract nature of time and relate it to IR :)

Shouldn't be too hard, the whole place is wired in copper conduits with sweated brass fittings as far as I know so it should be a case of just pulling in some new singles

Equally love it! Perhaps a days work Dave ;-)

A load of shrite.

i often get asked to rewire a house etc... I say why? Who said so...

I tell them, jus because it's old doesn't mean it needs replacing. So long as it tests out ok, what's the problem.

i changed a board today as it happens, I'd say the wiring was probably 1975 - 1980, tested out beautifully. Actually it may have been older than than as it was all solid green sleeving.

A load of shrite.

i often get asked to rewire a house etc... I say why? Who said so...

I tell them, jus because it's old doesn't mean it needs replacing. So long as it tests out ok, what's the problem.

i changed a board today as it happens, I'd say the wiring was probably 1975 - 1980, tested out beautifully. Actually it may have been older than than as it was all solid green sleeving.

Inspection and test, not just testing. Some absolute horrors can test out fine but not pass inspection.

Reply to "Electrical cables have a life, 15 to 20 years." in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock