Discuss Electrical certification for house? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B1gSte

-
Reaction score
Hi there. I have just joined this forum to ask a few questions if that's ok.

I have read that any electrical work undertaken in my house must be certified and that this certification would be needed when selling my house.

The thing is, when I bought the house there was no mention of any such certification provided with it.

I recently went into my loft and noticed a couple of dodgy looking cables.

One looks like the 4 core stuff used in 2 way lighting but only has a blue and a yellow connected together with one of those "chocolate block" type connectors. I can't see where it goes as most of the loft space is boarded.

I also noticed that a junction box has been used for the down lights in the bathroom and there is a "spare" wire in it that I can't fathom out the purpose of.

There is a twin and earth supply (in black and red), a black and red to each down lighter, a black and red switch wire to the ceiling switch and then another cable of which only the red is connected to the live in and the black is connected to an otherwise unused terminal in the junction box.
I also not that not one of the earth conductors has been terminated.
Is this likely to be due to the type of fitting?
Surely the Earth terminations should still meet in the junction box?

So to my next query..
How do I know what Tom, Dick and Harry has wired the house and how is it ever traceable as to proving who did it and whether they were competent?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

I have read that any electrical work undertaken in my house must be certified and that this certification would be needed when selling my house.

The thing is, when I bought the house there was no mention of any such certification provided with it.

One looks like the 4 core stuff used in 2 way lighting but only has a blue and a yellow connected together with one of those "chocolate block" type connectors. I can't see where it goes as most of the loft space is boarded.

I also noticed that a junction box has been used for the down lights in the bathroom and there is a "spare" wire in it that I can't fathom out the purpose of.

There is a twin and earth supply (in black and red), a black and red to each down lighter, a black and red switch wire to the ceiling switch and then another cable of which only the red is connected to the live in and the black is connected to an otherwise unused terminal in the junction box.

So to my next query..
How do I know what Tom, Dick and Harry has wired the house and how is it ever traceable as to proving who did it and whether they were competent?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

If any work has been notified by an electrician who is a member of the NICEIC can be checked here

NICEIC Online Certification: Notification Check - http://checkmynotification.com/

Only problem is its only NICEIC and elecsa but there are other schemes out there.

Given the colours of the cables you describe, the house must be at least 15 years old ... so any ones guess what's been changed over the years.

You could commission your own EICR to get an idea of the installation... but make sure its not a £50 drive past... be specific as to what you want them to look at and do

So to my next query..

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.
By any chance has there been any work done in the bathroom by bathroom fitters etc

Circuit protective conductors (earth) must always be connected/maintained at any junction/connection of the fixed wiring.

Notifiable work should be registered with the local building control office, might be worth going to them to see if they have any records, that might help identify who did some of the work, if they were bone-fide electricians.

If any work has been notified by an electrician who is a member of the NICEIC can be checked here

NICEIC Online Certification: Notification Check - http://checkmynotification.com/

Only problem is its only NICEIC and there are other schemes out there.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will have a look at that.
I did find details of some history in the previous building regs applications on my local council website but this was only for a new consumer unit and a new ring main and cooker circuit in the kitchen.
The consumer unit was done in 2006. It has a sticker on it notifying two versions of BS7671 colours.
It looks to be a lazy job as all the outgoing cables have been run up the wall in surface trunking to the first floor level!
I have just had plans passed for a decent sized extension so am considering having the whole lot upgraded.

There seem to be a number of official bodies governing this type of work.
What do I need to look for to make sure I get a decent electrician who knows what they're doing?

Thanks. X

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will have a look at that.
I did find details of some history in the previous building regs applications on my local council website but this was only for a new consumer unit and a new ring main and cooker circuit in the kitchen.
The consumer unit was done in 2006. It has a sticker on it notifying two versions of BS7671 colours.
It looks to be a lazy job as all the outgoing cables have been run up the wall in surface trunking to the first floor level!
I have just had plans passed for a decent sized extension so am considering having the whole lot upgraded.

There seem to be a number of official bodies governing this type of work.
What do I need to look for to make sure I get a decent electrician who knows what they're doing?

Thanks. X
plenty of electricians on here who know their stuff from around your way. You could post the job in here

Looking for Domestic Electricians? - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/looking-for-domestic-electricians.85/

Given the colours of the cables you describe, the house must be at least 15 years old ... so any ones guess what's been changed over the years.

You could commission your own EICR to get an idea of the installation... but make sure its not a £50 drive past... be specific as to what you want them to look at and do

Yes the house is a 1950's ex council....and it gets worse....it's a Wimpey no fines! Aaargh! Thanks. (Trying to keep up with all the replies thanks everyone who has.

By any chance has there been any work done in the bathroom by bathroom fitters etc

Hi Pete. Yes possibly as it has a fairly new(ish) bathroom.
I've just remembered also it used to be a separate bathroom and toilet.
I'm wondering if that means the other cable is the other switch wire which has most likely been buried and left connected to the live part of the loop!

Circuit protective conductors (earth) must always be connected/maintained at any junction/connection of the fixed wiring.

Notifiable work should be registered with the local building control office, might be worth going to them to see if they have any records, that might help identify who did some of the work, if they were bone-fide electricians.

Thanks. Judging from your first paragraph they don't appear to have been bone-fide.

Reply to Electrical certification for house? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net