Discuss Electrical certification for house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Pete. Yes possibly as it has a fairly new(ish) bathroom.
I've just remembered also it used to be a separate bathroom and toilet.
I'm wondering if that means the other cable is the other switch wire which has most likely been buried and left connected to the live part of the loop!
Just a thought but I had my bathroom done a few months ago and the" Electrician" was the same bloke that did the plumbing, needless to say I did the Electrics, it could be you have had Bill the bathroom fitter do the electrics in your house, if you can find out who did the bathroom you could confront them, a long shot I know.

It just makes me wonder what is the point in electricians having qualifications when some cowboy can just make a pigs ear of my wiring and ride off into the sunset. Does that mean that there is no real sure way of checking these things?
I mean, when I bought the house, there was no mention of certificates etc. I remember the vendor mentioning the new consumer unit and the additional sockets in the bedroom were "recent".

It just makes me wonder what is the point in electricians having qualifications when some cowboy can just make a pigs ear of my wiring and ride off into the sunset. Does that mean that there is no real sure way of checking these things?
I mean, when I bought the house, there was no mention of certificates etc. I remember the vendor mentioning the new consumer unit and the additional sockets in the bedroom were "recent".
This is something your solicitor should of insisted on if it was evident from the survey the consumer unit etc had been replaced.

Yes IIRC it was mentioned on the survey that it was "part rewired" but I don't recall the solicitor bringing up as an issue.
If he done his job properly then he should of asked for them and if they wasn't forthcoming then an EICR could of been conducted which would of probably highlighted the defects which in turn you could of used as ammo to reduce the cost. Maybe take it up with the solicitor as there will be a paper trail?

You don't need a certificate to sell your house. If you're unhappy about the wiring it may be wise to get it checked for your own safety if you have concerns. A buyer may want to get it checked prior to purchase, then any issues uncovered will be a negotiating point between you and them.

If he done his job properly then he should of asked for them and if they wasn't forthcoming then an EICR could of been conducted which would of probably highlighted the defects which in turn you could of used as ammo to reduce the cost. Maybe take it up with the solicitor as there will be a paper trail?

Thanks Lee. To be fair I got a fairly hefty discount off the asking price when I bought the house I doubt I would have pushed them down further.
I've got a decent bit of equity in it already.
It's my own fault really for being a bit green...first house purchase so didn't know the ropes.
I will definately need the meter and dist board moving when I do the extension and I want the ugly surface mounted cables shifting too so will be a good opportunity to have it all checked out and brought up to standard.

You don't need a certificate to sell your house. If you're unhappy about the wiring it may be wise to get it checked for your own safety if you have concerns. A buyer may want to get it checked prior to purchase, then any issues uncovered will be a negotiating point between you and them.

Thanks Alan. Does that mean Joe Bloggs could do his own DIY rewire and as long as some numpty like me buys his house he can get away with it?
Erm I guess I am the proof of the pudding lol

There are clear regulations about what you can and can't do electrically and who is competent to do so. However, as far as I'm aware it's still very much buyer beware re wiring much like the depth of the structural survey that will be done as a requirement for the lender. Very few houses will meet current regulations as the regs are updated all the time and are not retrospective and it doesn't necessarily mean they are dangerous. So in answer to your question, yes, if you don't get the wiring checked before purchase it's very easy to buy a lash up. If you did identify work that needed doing you may want to factor that into the purchase negotiations. If you are selling and you have concerns, at least for your own safety get it checked to ensure there is nothing dangerous.

There are clear regulations about what you can and can't do electrically and who is competent to do so. However, as far as I'm aware it's still very much buyer beware re wiring much like the depth of the structural survey that will be done as a requirement for the lender. Very few houses will meet current regulations as the regs are updated all the time and are not retrospective and it doesn't necessarily mean they are dangerous. So in answer to your question, yes, if you don't get the wiring checked before purchase it's very easy to buy a lash up. If you did identify work that needed doing you may want to factor that into the purchase negotiations. If you are selling and you have concerns, at least for your own safety get it checked to ensure there is nothing dangerous.

Thanks Alan.

From your 1st post apart from the cables in connection block you are asking how things have been wired,just because something looks messy does not make it unsafe saying that I think you need a good electrical installation condition report and I'm sure that they can advise what needs to be done (you need to let them know also you need to know the outcome noted in your post.
Part P came into force Jan 2005 so any work under the part P at the time should have been notified inc c.unit. you should also have electrical certificates for work done before and after this date.As posted you need to see if they exist from any of the sceams a lot of these can be checked on line as well as through your local council building control. if there is a name on the sticker of the consumer unit you could contact them however electrical contractors will only hold on to coppies for a fixed length of time.

I agree make decent Sparks very angry, and that's being polite

From your 1st post apart from the cables in connection block you are asking how things have been wired,just because something looks messy does not make it unsafe saying that I think you need a good electrical installation condition report and I'm sure that they can advise what needs to be done (you need to let them know also you need to know the outcome noted in your post.
Part P came into force Jan 2005 so any work under the part P at the time should have been notified inc c.unit. you should also have electrical certificates for work done before and after this date.As posted you need to see if they exist from any of the sceams a lot of these can be checked on line as well as through your local council building control. if there is a name on the sticker of the consumer unit you could contact them however electrical contractors will only hold on to coppies for a fixed length of time.
That should read SHOULD HOLD COPIES

If any work has been notified by an electrician who is a member of the NICEIC can be checked here

NICEIC Online Certification: Notification Check - http://checkmynotification.com/

Only problem is its only NICEIC and elecsa but there are other schemes out there.

Lee couldn't get that NIC web page to function. Wasn't locating on addresses, for notifications (which I know have been recorded). I entered a cert number (Building Regs Compliance), and that wasn't found either.

Have you got it to work? Only mention it 'cos OP might come across the same, and come to the wrong conclusion.

PS They were Elecsa numbers, perhaps they have their own search page?

Lee couldn't get that NIC web page to function. Wasn't locating on addresses, for notifications (which I know have been recorded). I entered a cert number (Building Regs Compliance), and that wasn't found either.

Have you got it to work? Only mention it 'cos OP might come across the same, and come to the wrong conclusion.

PS They were Elecsa numbers, perhaps they have their own search page?

Cancel that, seems the Elecsa (NIC) web site has technical issues this morning.

Well thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.
Here are the photos as promised...

The light fittings are connected to top left and top right terminal.
The cable coming in at the top from the left is the live and neutral.
The cable coming in at 9 o'clock is the ceiling switch.
I believe the cable at 6 o'clock is maybe the redundant switch wire which would have originally fed one of the lights when the bathroom and toilet were separate.
As can be seen, all of the Earth conductors have been snipped and there are no sleeves on any of the black switch wires.

The other photo shows the cable which has the taped up connector and disappears under the loft boards.

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 35247

View attachment 35248

Doesn't look good, the cpcs have been cut out which may mean some accessories or fittings are not earthed. I would say that has been like that for years from the look of it.

Reply to Electrical certification for house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock