Discuss Electrical installation design guide in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

At the end of the day, If your inspector is ok with it, using the
SWA as CPC is functionally adequate, research and actual use shows. However, if your inspector says not allowed,
then its not allowed. There is no clear direction in the code. What Pete posted says
"This table is intended purely as a guide only and is ….
not to be used as a substitute for proper cable calculation and circuit design"
and what I posted is "research only."

Well , am upgrade a (45m)95mm 4core to a 120mm4core as the supply is 315amps probably more in the substation , the information comes from table b1 guidance note 8 . But this come up in the thread where it was said the all swa cables armour is good to go to be used as a protective conductor . The original question was about a table in the design guide witch said it was cool to put 500a fuses to protect a 120mm cable . This a thought may have been a mistake or could have been saying that the armour could take the fault to blow a bs88 500v Fuse

The 95mm i put in 4years ago has good reading (can't tell you what they are off the top of my head). It just my div of a boss keep buying machines with out telling me and after moaning that this cable need up gradeing so we can use more of the supply ,he has put his hand in his pocket , iwas just double checking today to make sure that i didn't have to run a separate CPC or get 5core or start bonding the frame work to get the efli before he brought it . Ps can anyone tell me how to put up quotes because it looks like am responding to different post than i am thanks

You mentioned bonding in #23 and if you need bonding then swa armour may not be up to it. How is the site earthed? And can you id the table with the 500A ref?

Edit : Agree, the 120mm 4 core has plenty of armour for cpc

Don't need bonding , was just make sure that was the case , that's all . the table that raised the original question was table 8.8 in the design guide page 100 ( maximum bs88 fuse sizes for multi core armoured cables having thermosetting insulation (copper conductors) when as armouring is to be used as the protective conductor .sizes endorsed in table 4e4a of bs7671 ) . I know its a snappy title

Reply to Electrical installation design guide in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net