Discuss electrical safety certificate? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

legepe

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need a safety certificate for a mixed use property (flat above/retail below) to satisfy the building insurance.
It has an installation in the flat carried out in 2007 which looks to be good quality.
The retail on ground floor not sure but it is all in very good condition and doesnt look that old.
Can anyone please tell me for a safety certificate to be given does all or part of the installation need to be brought up to current regulations?
Thanks
legepe

as long as the installation is safe for continued use, then it does not have to be updated. any new work that is done must be done to current regs. what you need is an Electrical Installation Condition Report ( EICR ). post your location and one of us may be close to help you out.

think it's only if the flat has it's own separate meter. might be wrong.

Thanks a lot guys...
The property is in withernsea
As a guide its a two bed flat above (tenanted) and retail shop below (empty) 160sqm in total
Roughly how long would this type of check take?
legepe
ps: for some reason the meter for the flat has been kept down in the shop with all other meters, etc...

Last edited:
That's about 10 mins from me, Unfortunately I'm not with a scheme anymore so would be next to no real use. How long it would take would depend on if/how many faults were identified etc

How soon does this need doing ? I may be able to help out either directly or indirectly.

Thanks again everyone for your advice... and thanks for the offer Andy but Ive got a local company to do it for me at an acceptable price... My concerns were that I had an electrician telling me there are quite a few things to change to bring up to current electrical standards but he was not convincing me... and was quoting me rather excessive prices... ive used these electricians twice before for full rewire jobs, but I won't be using them anymore!
I will need extensive work doing on this property in the near future possibly to divide it into 3/4 seperate dwellings... I will get back to you Andy when the time comes.. Thanks again.. legepe

Thanks again everyone for your advice... and thanks for the offer Andy but Ive got a local company to do it for me at an acceptable price... My concerns were that I had an electrician telling me there are quite a few things to change to bring up to current electrical standards but he was not convincing me... and was quoting me rather excessive prices... ive used these electricians twice before for full rewire jobs, but I won't be using them anymore!
I will need extensive work doing on this property in the near future possibly to divide it into 3/4 seperate dwellings... I will get back to you Andy when the time comes.. Thanks again.. legepe

Ah no problem. I'm based in Hull and if you need any advice, including a second opinion on any EICR codes and quoted remedial work, feel free to send me a PM on the forum.

Reply to electrical safety certificate? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net