Discuss electrical testing wanted in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

its just for a 2 bed house 15 year old that is let there are no problems just wont a cert thanks

As Lee says, you need an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report).

If any member is in the Devon area and would like to quote for this, please PM the OP.

I suspect it could be a misunderstanding of terminology.

Since a certificate is what you complete after some installation work, one interpretation is there has been some installation work but nobody completed and issued a certificate, and one is now needed.

Another interpretation is that a test and inspection is required, in which case you only get a "report", not a "certificate". But many people are confused about this.

The OP needs to be clear which he is asking for!

I suspect it could be a misunderstanding of terminology.

Since a certificate is what you complete after some installation work, one interpretation is there has been some installation work but nobody completed and issued a certificate, and one is now needed.

Another interpretation is that a test and inspection is required, in which case you only get a "report", not a "certificate". But many people are confused about this.

The OP needs to be clear which he is asking for!
Hi guys Ian after a landlords house check with cert. Is it called a safety cert. Already had done 5 years ago there is no problems. Just need price and not to be ripped off that's all thanks guys

Hi guys Ian after a landlords house check with cert. Is it called a safety cert. Already had done 5 years ago there is no problems. Just need price and not to be ripped off that's all thanks guys
a fair price for a "proper" test/inspection report is £150 - £200.

Will that price include special attention to the recent shower install? lol
now that would just be subject to my normal fixit charge......£50 to fix it: £75 if he watches: £100 if he's had a go hisself.

Back on a serious tack - so last EICR was 5 years ago, how many tenants? how can the landlord state there are no problems?

Wonder if the previous report will be available to the "lucky" inspector?

All being a bit sarcy I feel! He may well have had a periodic done five years back that said all is fine. He may even be requesting a EICR price off of their own back, with no prompting from letting agency/insurance/etc..

To the OP; Tel has given an approximate price range above. Also, just because it was said to be fine five years ago does not mean a new report will be satisfactory. The report is just a report, any remedial works are usually carried out subsequently and chargeable. Felt that last bit worth a mention as some folks seem to think their ~£150 payment is a cure-all!

EDIT: just saw shankys post numero 7 and I take some of it back! Looking at previous posts he should know what he is after....

Last edited:
All being a bit sarcy I feel! He may well have had a periodic done five years back that said all is fine. He may even be requesting a EICR price off of their own back, with no prompting from letting agency/insurance/etc..

To the OP; Tel has given an approximate price range above. Also, just because it was said to be fine five years ago does not mean a new report will be satisfactory. The report is just a report, any remedial works are usually carried out subsequently and chargeable. Felt that last bit worth a mention as some folks seem to think their ~£150 payment is a cure-all!

EDIT: just saw shankys post numero 7 and I take some of it back! Looking at previous posts he should know what he is after....

Just been to see a local letting agent recently after explaining pricing etc 150minimium eicr and 70 visual after seeing previous eicr was told too expensive and current co charging £70plus vat for eicr and 30plus vat visual. Unsatisfactory reports withheld until remedial works carried out then report sent out as satisfactory.
Didn't have the energy after that to say that was a quite dubious practise and promised to go over my charges and send off a price list.
Loads of monkeys out there eating peanuts I think lol

Just been to see a local letting agent recently after explaining pricing etc 150minimium eicr and 70 visual after seeing previous eicr was told too expensive and current co charging £70plus vat for eicr and 30plus vat visual. Unsatisfactory reports withheld until remedial works carried out then report sent out as satisfactory.
Didn't have the energy after that to say that was a quite dubious practise and promised to go over my charges and send off a price list.
Loads of monkeys out there eating peanuts I think lol

Yep, dubious it is! I strictly report the report, then, if asked to, will quote remedials. Vested interests an all a that! My minimum is £120 for a small flat with 3-4 ccts, with price per cct after that. I mention that a CU may have say 6 breakers on it, but ccts may be doubled up and therefore chargeable. Even for a doorbell tranny if the customer is an idiot!

local council put some new law around here, for a landlord certification of some kind. small dodgy offices opened up offering a help with the service.
its about gas safety, electrics, insulation, bathrooms etc.
my greedy landlord send some two "experts", they come and checked that bathroom exists, boiler is there, fuse box, yeah is there no need to open it)
charged the landlord £££, he complained and rise up the rent.
council seems to be happy with its £500 cerification fee, to be renewed every couple of years.

Last edited:
hi guys looking for price for test certificate for 2 bed house thanks

Hi, feel you been ridiculed by the site a bit youve asked a fair question straight to point. I can pm u a price for an eicr (electrical inspection condition report)

local council put some new law around here, for a landlord certification of some kind. small dodgy offices opened up offering a help with the service.
its about gas safety, electrics, insulation, bathrooms etc.
my greedy landlord send some two "experts", they come and checked that bathroom exists, boiler is there, fuse box, yeah is there no need to open it)
charged the landlord £££, he complained and rise up the rent.
council seems to be happy with its £500 cerification fee, to be renewed every couple of years.

Is that £500 for a EICR, CP12 and EPC? Bloody good money that, even if done correctly!

EDIT......Maybe decent money as just noticed your location Amlu!

Last edited:

Reply to electrical testing wanted in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock