Discuss Electrical water heater problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

May I ask your advice please. I have an electrical water heater that was renewed last year. This water heater is only used occasionally during the summer. It heats the water in our guest room over our garage. The water in the heater heats up but the cut out is tripped during the night.

I have checked the wiring according to the diagram supplied with the heater. All correct. I have replaced the master cut out 40 amp switch. I have just replaced the 25 amp off/auto/on switch. The cut out still trips during the night.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

What is tripping? Thermal overload in heater, mcb or RCD?

Changing random parts like you describe isn't likely to solve the problem.

That is my problem, I don't know what is tripping it. I have worked through it as logically as I know how. Starting with power to heater element - OK. Checked wiring circuit - OK. It has been suggested that is more than likely the thermostat is the problem, but how do I check that, or when in the night the circuit trips.

That is my problem, I don't know what is tripping it. I have worked through it as logically as I know how. Starting with power to heater element - OK. Checked wiring circuit - OK. It has been suggested that is more than likely the thermostat is the problem, but how do I check that, or when in the night the circuit trips.
The thermostat may be set too high, try reducing the temperature, you shouldn't go around changing thing electrical on a whim, call the local Electrician, ee will be able to elp sacra blue, monami. I ope mr electrique can elp you

It will more than likely be the thermostats safety cut out that is tripping. Get them happening alot in immersion heaters. Try lowering the temp down on thermostat. If it still trips, you will probably need a new thermostat.
That's if the safety cut out is built into the thermostat.
Couldn't say for sure without seeing a picture

The water heater is in a separate building with it's own consumer board. When the cut out operates it trips the supply in that building, not the supply in the house.

I take on board the comment that the thermostat might be set too high, so I have reset that to a lower temperature. I will check tomorrow morning to see if it has tripped again.

In the mean time I will up load a picture of the cut out and heater off/auto/on switch.

As you have gathered, electrical problem are not my thing. Photographic or vintage car restoration yes, water heaters NO.
Thanks again for replying.

P.S. I am trying to find somewhere to poke the Garlic!

Heater switch.jpg

Who said it is over heating.
No one said it's overheating, we have not been informed as to what is tripping, assumptions have been made that it could be the overheat trip. Until the OP comes back and tells us which device is tripping we are all shooting in the dark. The OP has no electrical qualifications by the looks of it, so it is likely he is getting confused, and transmitting that confusion in his post, not his fault, but it does make it difficult to glean the right information.

Reply to Electrical water heater problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net