Discuss Electrician looking to work in new zealand in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

glennboy85

Hi I'm looking to move to Christchurch in 2 months time I am just wondering can I turn up and start working then register with the governing body out there or do I need to do it from the uk? I amazing 17th edition JIB gold card sparky here with 10 years experience any help would be appreciated and a job offer would be even better lol thanks

Hi I'm looking to move to Christchurch in 2 months time I am just wondering can I turn up and start working then register with the governing body out there or do I need to do it from the uk? I amazing 17th edition JIB gold card sparky here with 10 years experience any help would be appreciated and a job offer would be even better lol thanks

Do you mean to say, that you haven't contacted the Consulate/Embassy or checked out their website in the UK, to find out the procedure you need to follow to work in NZ electrical industry and your moving there in 2 months??

I think you are going to be up ****e creek without the preverble paddle me ole cock sparrow!! I hope you're taking a good wedge of cash with you, your going to need it!! Never heard of anyone being so naive/irresponsible. Please tell us that this is a Wind Up....

Hi glen, Here's a useful reply:

Recognition of overseas qualifications | Electrical Workers Registration Board

You download the application, fill out, apart from questions 3 & 4, Send it to them together with certificated copies of your certificates, (You need to get a lawyer or someone important to sign to say there genuine) and together with detailed references covering at least 4 years of work. Costs $350 nz to register. Takes 6 - 8 weeks. this gives you a provisional licence (From what ive read you can work with someone but not on your own.)

You then get 3 months to do the health and safety (Electrical safety, first aid & CPR) & 12 months to sit there regs exam (Written exam) and a complete a practical test. (Cost$$$$)

Im leaving on the 27th, Cart wait ;D

Shame the OP didn't do the research that you obviously have isn't it!!

I am imagining to complete that little lot, is going to take more than a couple of months to get all signed sealed and delivered...

I was thinking to move to Christchurch but you need work permit visa which you can get if you have over 100 points then you are going to pool. Every two weeks they are draw somebody from that pool.
If you manage to get 140+ points you can get visa no question asked, to get that you have to have job offer from Christchurch. Still you will need to get all certificates converted and everything else guys are saying up in their posts.

Not easy at all, if you are going with partner your partner will have to go through same point system.

It is better to organise everything from here, that way it will take much shorter time to finish the process there.

Wish you luck, please let me know how it goes. I am very interested to move there, especially in Christchurch. Electricians are in shortage skilled worker list and it shouldn't be difficult to get job there. Salary as I found online from $30 - $35 /day rent of house around $400/week.

Contacting a recruitment agency like Hays may be useful as far as connecting with employers looking for people who are in the process of becoming NZ licenced.?

Most jobs are advertised on places like seek and trade me.

Jobs on SEEK - New Zealand's no.1 Employment, Career and Recruitment site

Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me

Registered with hays today, Hes pretty confident he can get me a start this week, despite not hearing back from the ewrb yet
This country is amazingly laid back, no one even wanted to see the visa or check the bank statments (You need 4000$ for 12months stay). Bought a car, and the 3rd party insurance is 14quid/$28 a month... and you don't even legally need to be insured, lol

An agency called Canstaff are recruiting. They only pay $25 an hour and you need to stick with them for at least 6 months but they help you find recruitment over there in Christchurch and hold interviews in the UK

Contacting a recruitment agency like Hays may be useful as far as connecting with employers looking for people who are in the process of becoming NZ licenced.?

Once you're in the system and working you'll be sorted.

Hope it works out for you.

Reply to Electrician looking to work in new zealand in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock