Discuss Electrician walked off the job half way, what now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

belmontbuild

Hi all,

I am doing up my flat, which is quite a large space, about 150 spot lights and 65 plug sockets (now 95).

My Electrician started on monday and went home Thursday afternoon. He emailed me last night saying he is not willing to come back because I agreed to pay him 3.1k upfront on monday however I did not manage to get the money to him until tuesday which to be honest was my fault however I do feel its a little harsh to quit a job half way through because of that. I think he has just found another better paying job.

NB: job was 7350 first fix and 5k second fix. He is going to keep the £3.1k I have paid him and so far he has run 6 ring mains and boxed up 90 ish plug sockets.

Anyway what are my choices now? Unfortunately this has messed up the rest of my build as I can not put my floors down until the electrical work is finished so I am going to have to cancel the other jobs that are due to start next week.

Will I be able to find someone that is willing to take on a half done job? Should I just get someone on a day rate or get someone to price for the full job again?

I'm a little skepticalthat this is the full story. He walked off the job after the first day because a payment that has now been received by him was a day late...and no other reason...? In that case if he hadn't received his payment why did he even start work?

I'm not understanding the boxing up of 90'ish plug sockets part. Has he installed 90'ish sockets on 6 ring circuits...in one day?

Hi & welcome. Sorry to hear about your situation. Seems strange that he has walked off due to deposit being a day late & also, why did he start without payment? Had you signed any sort of contract with him? At this moment, I cannot think what your best option would be. Either way its looks like other work will have to go on hold until you have sorted out your electrics situation. You may be lucky & find that someone here maybe able to help.

I'm a little skepticalthat this is the full story. He walked off the job after the first day because a payment that has now been received by him was a day late...and no other reason...? In that case if he hadn't received his payment why did he even start work?

I'm not understanding the boxing up of 90'ish plug sockets part. Has he installed 90'ish sockets on 6 ring circuits...in one day?

Hi sorry I was not really clear. He showed up Monday (01.10.12), I told him I would go to the bank on monday to drop the cash into his account. I was quite busy with other builders on site and did not get the chance to go to the bank so on tuesday again I was on site so I gave him the 3k deposit in cash and told him to hold onto the money until he can see the deposit in his account, I then got my business partner to do a BACS transfer into his account which showed up a few hours later so he gave me back the 3k I gave to him as security. Its not that I was not willing to pay only the logistics of getting into the bank to do the deposit.

He then worked until Thursday afternoon (04.10.12) and went home with plans to come back on monday. Sunday night I got an email say

Just a quick email to advise you that I will not be coming back up to XXXX as I was not happy in the way that you handed out the first payment or operated.
I run a professional business and do not run a cash business and that we were paid by a second party.

The work that has been carried out so far, are the six ring mains all wired and boxed to which you have paid me £3093.75 of the first fix cost of £7375.00 to which I have also fitted 44 additional points.

I'm not after any further payments as the works can be carried out by a second party.

So I have been on the phone this morning and got a couple of Part P guys willing to come and take a look so it should hopefully work out.

Hi & welcome. Sorry to hear about your situation. Seems strange that he has walked off due to deposit being a day late & also, why did he start without payment? Had you signed any sort of contract with him? At this moment, I cannot think what your best option would be. Either way its looks like other work will have to go on hold until you have sorted out your electrics situation. You may be lucky & find that someone here maybe able to help.

To be honest I think he just found a better offer which at the end of the day is up to him. He started without payment because he knew I was going to pay, its a huge project and I offered to give him cash on the first day (as long as I got a receipt on the books) so there was never really any questions about payment. Its just that he wanted BACS and not cash which I understand also.

No offence meant , but either you are telling porkies , ( which i think you are probably not ! ) or this bloke is a nutter and your best off without him !?

Last edited:
Have to agree,

there must be something else missing here as I cannot see a true spark walking away from a contract like that without proper cause.

Hi all,

I am doing up my flat, which is quite a large space, about 150 spot lights and 65 plug sockets (now 95).

95 sockets = 'Big Space', I should blinking well think so with that many :drunk:

What the hell is it, a converted aircraft hanger?. Or are you running some sort of illicit DVD copying empire and need loads of duplicators? LOL

Have to agree,

there must be something else missing here as I cannot see a true spark walking away from a contract like that without proper cause.

Sounds good but you say a true spark remember our trade has been diluted by the Electrical Trainee and any Tom Dick or Harry who the scheme provider deems that they can badge for a fee of course so look it this way either the customer messed him about or he was out of his depth so my advise to the OP is when getting someone in ask how long they have been in the trade and have they done jobs as big as this before.

Now I walked off a job once as I was doing a PIR and fixed a couple of things free of charge but then got messed about by the customer who was holding the bill to ransom but I said I aint putting up with this and walked was not easy as the customer give me a bad review but the good thing was I had a right to reply I lost a days pay but have no complaints as I just would not take the hasle

Can belmontbuild please clarify if the price was based on 65 or 95 sockets. And what sort of spot lights are they?

Could be the electrician under priced the job, realised his mistake and took the opportunity to walk away without losing any money.

95 sockets = 'Big Space', I should blinking well think so with that many :drunk:

What the hell is it, a converted aircraft hanger?. Or are you running some sort of illicit DVD copying empire and need loads of duplicators? LOL

haha no just one huge flat. 6400sq ft

No offence meant , but either you are telling porkies , ( which i think you are probably not ! ) or this bloke is a nutter and your best off without him !?

Really there is nothing more to the story then this, I have been as honest as I can. The only thing is that the guy was staying in a hotel as its 3 hours from his home town so I assume he found work closer to home.

Can belmontbuild please clarify if the price was based on 65 or 95 sockets. And what sort of spot lights are they?

Could be the electrician under priced the job, realised his mistake and took the opportunity to walk away without losing any money.

his price was based an about 65 plug sockets and 120 (ish) light fittings, we now have 95 sockets and 210 light fittings I agreed I would pay £25 extra per plug socket and £20 per light fitting that was not quoted for in the original drawings (on top of the price posted above). The spot lights will be something like this

heals.co.uk/ceiling+spotlights/montana-single-spot-light/invt/514575

(NB I am not buying the above spot lights just that style)

Well whatever the reason was that he walked I guess we'll never know what was going through his mind to want to walk away from what sounds like a substantial contract. The question is whether he's done sufficient work to warrant the money he's been paid. If he has then I would just find another installer and start afresh, if not you'll have to get legal advice about recovering your money .

Its not uncommon to walk away from a job that turns into a pigs ear....

But i do sympathize with some builders who are desperate to keep the trades on site when the cash flow dips.
One chap in question was trying to keep a site operational after a retaining end wall to a 3 story semi had collapsed. He had taken a third of the workforce off to another site to keep the cash flow coming in to pay for us.
The problem was..... Have you ever tried to install a rfc with only 3 walls to the rooms ? . I think not, needless to say, neither did we.
The job was a complete mess. H&SE was crawling all over the place, the P&Ds were in, one beligerent old numpty attempted to gloss green wood - he didn't last more than a couple of hours.
and this was in the days when tradesmen knew their stuff and part P was something you did in the portaloo.

his price was based an about 65 plug sockets and 120 (ish) light fittings, we now have 95 sockets and 210 light fittings I agreed I would pay £25 extra per plug socket and £20 per light fitting that was not quoted for in the original drawings (on top of the price posted above). The spot lights will be something like this

heals.co.uk/ceiling+spotlights/montana-single-spot-light/invt/514575

(NB I am not buying the above spot lights just that style)

There is your answer then. Not enough money for the extras. It won’t be for me anyway.

It's certainly confusing but from what the op has said it does sound like this guy got a hair up his bottom about something. In his position I wouldn't have said the cash was actually a payment, more likely a gesture of goodwill. Here's a large wad of cash for you to hold till I can get a similar amount into your account doesn't sound unreasonable to me, nor does it sound as if you're trying to imply he accepts cash payments (which, provided they are properly accounted for, are perfectly fine).
He has though left you in a pickle, the scheme providers give the ability to self certify. Signing off another's work is frowned upon so you may struggle to find someone willing to issue the necessary paperwork

I think I would be inclined to retest his work and just add it as a note on the certificate that it was done by another electrician but tested ok. The building regulation certificate is a little generic if you use "multiple circuits added or rewired". They don't know what's covered by multiple.
This job sounds enough money to me?

Reply to Electrician walked off the job half way, what now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net