Discuss Electrician walked off the job half way, what now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Guys.

Another update. So Mr CS applied to have the judgment set aside, as I am based in the US at the moment I was not able to go to court to fight this and he successfully had the verdict set aside.

So we had our day in front of the judge a few weeks ago, this is the first time I have spoken to CS and I got the feeling he honestly believes he had done 3.1k worth of work and that I am trying to rip him off.

On the other hand I had a valuation of the work with shows it was just under 1.3k worth of work which in my view is what the work was worth.

After calling his accountant he finally agreed that there is no such thing as a VAT exemption number for a new build and that he was not actually supposed to charge me VAT.

After much going back and forth he agreed to pay me back £1500 which I agreed to accept.
He paid me on the date promised and this is now closed.

Its fair to say I will never deal with Mr CS again.

All in all am happy this is over and done with. I cost me £120 in legal fees, £150 in fuel to drive down to court and £3000 to fly back to the uk to go to court. I got £1.5k back. This was never about the money I just dont like being taken for a ride which in my view I was.

I know everyone says there is 2 sides to a story, so as this is public record now here is Mr CS side of the story.

Also I managed to convince Mr CS (after a call to his accountant) that actually there is no such thing as a VAT exemption number for a new build and that he was supposed to zero rate the VAT, so he will get the VAT back that he paid so actually he is only just under £1k out of pocket now.

To be fair to CS he has lost a few days of work having to go to court so he has lost out in all of this also.

I dont agree with some of what is said in the letter, but thats my point of view.

Best we keep quite as it looks like they may sue us . Judging by what held up the payment in the first place , they have form for it !:90:

Edit ; The attachment 21183 did not show !

Anyone that wants my name can go and look it up the court documents, the reference number is there.

I have used CS in all my posts to avoid it coming up in a google search.

My point is that YOU very quickly removed YOUR name from the post but left the other parties name in full show which I do not think is fair.............

All in all am happy this is over and done with. I cost me £120 in legal fees, £150 in fuel to drive down to court and £3000 to fly back to the uk to go to court. I got £1.5k back. This was never about the money I just dont like being taken for a ride which in my view I was.

But don't mind paying circa £1500 for one!

Glad you finally got closure, you know my views on the value of the work. I still cannot fathom why he took on the work in the first place, it was definitely not a job to be traveling and stopping in a hotel, I guess he realised that in the first few days. I like his cheek in getting his "bill" to equal what he was paid already. :))

I've got mixed feelings on this one but I'm glad it's settled for all concerned but I still don't see the reason he walked. Seems a bit OTT to block up the court roll with this kinda case when a judgment has no consequences apart from a few quid one way or the other that won't even cover the effort and expense of the legal remedy. If there's no winners apart from lawyers then it's a shame you couldn't come to an out of court settlement.

*edit* If the court records are in the public domain then there's no privacy issues and you're welcome to attach or link to them if you like.

I've got mixed feelings on this one but I'm glad it's settled for all concerned but I still don't see the reason he walked. Seems a bit OTT to block up the court roll with this kinda case when a judgment has no consequences apart from a few quid one way or the other that won't even cover the effort and expense of the legal remedy. If there's no winners apart from lawyers then it's a shame you couldn't come to an out of court settlement.

*edit* If the court records are in the public domain then there's no privacy issues and you're welcome to attach or link to them if you like.

Marvo, the OP named and shamed the spark he had a beef with on this forum, the original post he did included HIS name TOO but he was VERY quick to remove it.

I note that the attachment is still there with the sparks name on show but his name removed - if the details are in the public domain then a link to the court proceedings is OK BUT to allow the attachment to remain with one identity concealed is not right.

Murdoch are you sure that attachment is still visible as I took it down last night (or at least I think I did :lol: )

Post 164 - JPEG file still accessible

Thanks mate that should be it gone now. Must have had one too many beverages yesterday :lol:

I'm just bumping some of the older threads in the general electrical forum that had a lot of replies. They might not be current topics, if they're not, just ignore them and they'll soon drop off the list. If you DO wish to add a reply and get the conversation going again, feel free to do so. Your input might help somebody else in the future.

I'm just bumping some threads in the Electrical Forum, don't mind me while I do this, you don't have to respond to them. Although if they are still current topics, and you do wish to reply, you're welcome to. Keep the thread on-topic and make sure you stick to the forum rules though.

Reply to Electrician walked off the job half way, what now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net