Discuss Electricians Van Insurance - Past renewal price? in the Insurance for Electricians area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. grantr37

grantr37 Trusted Advisor

Third party insurance is trouble waiting to happen from what I've been told.....and it's getting phased out as well from what was said....

2. SirKit Breaker

SirKit Breaker Guest

Young driver and Insurance in the same sentence is always going to hurt, even more so when it is a van due to the preconceptions (often correct) of van drivers, not my van so i will drive it like ive nicked it, and give way to no one.

3. brucelee

brucelee Trusted Advisor

Yes young drivers will get hit hardest
    some due to young drivers probably making more claims more risk
    some is because of all the people scamming whip lash claims and crash for cash claims and the companies that claim for them taking a cut

If you lose your job it wil cost more if you become disabled it costs more
    wether you hae no claims or 17 yrs no claims protected they still sting you when they can for any reason at all jsut keep shopping about but if your getting the van tomorrow then not much time to search

£2k is having a laugh

4. grantr37

grantr37 Trusted Advisor

you shouldn't have told them that you already bought the van as they knew from then that they had you between a rock and a hard place...you are better to ask for a price before you have the keys for a vehicle so that they know you have the option to do without/wait/shop around....then you can haggle a bit.....that's why a lot of online comparison pages won't give you a quote unless you feed them number plates and ownership details...

ask your bank what small business insurance they do that can have a van added onto it...

5. cotty

cotty Guest

Try CLEGG GIFFORD very good for multi vehicle insurance.

I used them in the past to insure Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6,Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI they did both those for £1100 and then said they'd put the Old Alfa 145 Cloverleaf on for an extra £300.

I also had a named driver and policy was fully comp protected.

I only drive one vehicle at the minute and single so can't use them but I'll deffinately go back in future.

Seems the more vehicles you insure with them the better,they won't be beaten on price.

Admiral quoted me £1400 just for the Omega and a further £900 for the Picasso,so they were more than double the price.

Hope this helps

6. nelsonbaz

nelsonbaz New EF Member

i have ours insured with nfu. not all of them will insure vans

7. KoFi

KoFi Electrician's Arms

my son (23) is on My van insurance but to expensive to add daughter 21yrs driving since 17yrs

8. Akina

Akina Guest

I'd recommend trying aviva. They've been the cheapest for me on my car and van that I drive. I'm 19 and the price is reasonable.

9. SparkyJoe

SparkyJoe Electrician's Arms

Went with Adrian flux, have been the cheapest for me, last few years.

10. Dan

Dan I'm not a sparky but I know a couple ;-) Staff Member

This type of thread becomes handy on the other forums so I thought I'd post it here too. Not sure if we've done it before, but it's okay I guess as a bit of an update wouldn't go a miss due to insurance firms changing their pricing so often.

What was your last renewal quote and what quote did you go for if you shopped around?
    What was the cover for? (tools covered?, off-road parking? etc)
    What van was it covering?

Any other details that might have changed your price for the better?

Feel free to link to websites and contact details of the firms you went for, especially if they're not easily found small firms.

11. JakeAlexSimpson

JakeAlexSimpson EF Member

Currently getting quoted £1,800 on any van on money supermarket.com, when I ring up it is no where near that figure.

Aged 18 right now, but searching as if 19 (when I'll be getting a van) and with 2 years no claim.
    I know that everyone will say young driver and more likely to have an accident so its our own faults.
    Honestly don't believe its fair for the responsible people my age, who just want a van to earn extra money.

Any tips at all guys?

12. Hellmooth

Hellmooth Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CM Electrical
    Bicycle

13. Hellmooth

Hellmooth Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CM Electrical
    Kidding, it's the nature of the beast! Can't you get on parents or boss's insurance? There's loads of threads on here that will point you in the right direction!

14. Paul.M

Paul.M Trusted Advisor

Jake, car/van insurers are glorified book makers. Only difference is that you pay your money and bet against yourself for not having an accident!

A very good percentage of fault claims against insurance companies are from young drivers (<25) or inexperienced drivers (<4 years). No way out of it mate unless you sign up with one of the few companies that have sat nav installed in your car/van to monitor your driving actions to adjust your premiums.

I've paid £1840 for this year after a fault accident and losing my NCB, plus living in a high crime rate area for car crime. I used to work for one the THEEEE biggest companies in the UK on the claims side of things (yes, I was the nasty man at the end of the phone saying why we are not paying out for your claim!! it was a job,,, a long time ago). No way of getting around it unless you are dishonest about your application (not advisable, guess what I did for a living/wage... most do not win when they need to claim).

Shop around, get the best quote, be truthful, pay monthly and start driving your own van. Build up your NCB and pay less the following year.
    Over a barrel???? Yes and there is no easy way around it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DuaneMHunt1976

DuaneMHunt1976 Electrician's Arms

Being 18 is fined when it comes to.insurance
    I know for.normal driving insurance.if I put someone on it, mother who can't drive my car due to it being so low down
    But it did drop.my insurance

Job title is another thingz so I hear, If you put rock star or man City player it goes right up

16. Brightspark2

Brightspark2 Electrician's Arms

Try putting someone older on the quote as a named driver, preferably a women .

Where have you said you are parking it?

Please note this is named driver not main driver.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Barry White

Barry White Guest

Make up a fake quote on moneysupermarket (just for a trial) put in van details but omit registration plate put address as another number in your street and any name with your dob and any no claims you have. Once you have the profile setup try adding NAMED DRIVERS WHO LIVE WITH YOU one at a time and recalcuate the quote noting the best result its trial and error.
    once you get the quote retry another quote with the same criteria BUT with all your correct details dont forget the van needs business insurance and dont lie about milage or where its kept etc or other details to get a lower quote as it will void the polecy.

Did this for my son and got good quotes the only reason for the "fake details" is they store all quotes. Sons quote was better with me on this year and his mum last year increased by £30 with us both on ???

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  18. Dan

Dan I'm not a sparky but I know a couple ;-) Staff Member