Discuss electrics/water reinstated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
weve had a large flood from the 7th floor at work and the building is closed. The electrics turned off around 4 hours after the initial flood. The power is back on now and it got me thinking.

How would you go about making sure it was safe to initiate the power after such an event. Would it be a simple case of drying the system out as much as possible then doing some visual checks for moisture in DB's, JB's etc,

I would imagine a certain level of testing?

ok cool, I get that.

but what about the bits you cannot see? its a large building with many DB boards and many accessories. Checking everyone would take a long time. I doubt that has been achieved in my building. 24 hours later the power was back on.

I just wondered what type of testing/inspection would they would have likely done to be sure it was safe

IR at 1000v for a few minutes should dry the joints out a bit...

bye bye bang test. hello to glug-glug test.

Well it's quite scary when you think of it. Part of basement (where over 30 people work) was in an inch of water. The same water that ran through all the DB's down the risers

Reply to electrics/water reinstated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, you all helped me out recently when we had a water leak (mostly in kitchen ceiling), and my landlord's contractor was saying the household...
Replies
Views
So what are your thoughts? Over 100 schools in England closed, 40 or so in Scotland after a building material with a projected lifespan of 30-40...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone. Budding DIY enthusiast fascinated with how things work - and, to a lesser degree, fixing things that are not working. I suppose my...
Replies
Views
Hi All On the 2nd November an EON contractor attempted to fit an electricity smart meter at my address. He was unable to do so because the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I do have another account on here which I would imagine is not allowed by admins - this account will...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock