Discuss Electromagnectic Effects in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ED17

-
Arms
Reaction score
We do lots of testing on social housing and came across this yesterday.

Someone has recently replaced the consumer unit with an AMD3 wylex unit. They have taken the main tails and earth through three separate 20mm stuffing glands. What code should we be giving it, C2?

i'd be inclined to give it a C3, as with the average load in a domestic property, the eddy currents will be too insignificant to cause any danger.

i'd be inclined to give it a C3, as with the average load in a domestic property, the eddy currents will be too insignificant to cause any danger.
IMO it defeats the idea of fitting a metal CU, why?. because you are adding a potential heat/fire source to the CU, must have been installed by someone who doesn't know what they are about.

i have to hold my hands up to having done the same, once, on a 3 phase office installation. been in 8 years and the place still stands. a couple of visits when the installation has been running loaded, no sign of warmth at all around the tails.

Agree with Tel, it's technically wrong but at the currents under cosideration the effect will be barely noticeable. John Ward made a demo video, not 100% representative as the CU was outdoors and there was no control thermometer etc, but he got up to >100A with a 2°C rise in the CU wall. https://youtu.be/hg5eZkq2KgE

It has to be a C2. We are installing installation to current addition of bs7671. In this instance reg no 521.5.1 should be adhered too no room for manouvere. Tel why did you not adhere to this in your post, out of interest what prevented you from doing so, out of intrest.?

Technically wrong but I have to agree the chances of any danger being caused is probably zero. I would also C3 it unless you want to make a point of their error.

Technically wrong but I have to agree the chances of any danger being caused is probably zero. I would also C3 it unless you want to make a point of their error.

That's my problem. I don't want to drop anyone in it, but then again I don't want dropping in it by giving out a satisfactory report then someone else coming along and saying it isn't.

IMHO it's not immediately dangerous, but its not compliant with current regs on a current installation. I agree with Pete #3, so I'd go C2 and maybe the orig installer gets to do the rework. That always sharpened my attention, I recall. Maybe I'm too harsh. Cheers, David

That's my problem. I don't want to drop anyone in it, but then again I don't want dropping in it by giving out a satisfactory report then someone else coming along and saying it isn't.
I suppose you need to say to yourself, is it Potentially Dangerous (Code 2), most posts on here feel it isn't but Posts 6 and 10 feel it does. "Potentially Dangerous" is asking is there a potential for it to happen, not necessarily today or next week but at some time. Go with what you feel and don't worry about the consequences for others.

@bigspark17. reason was that the metal 3 phase isolator was supplied by A.N Other and the casing was too shallow to fit anything bigger than 25mm stuffers/glands. so they had to go in individually. i stick with a C3 though, as there is no danger , immediate or potential. bearing i mind that with plastic glands the closet the casing is to the cable is about 28mm,so whatever eddy currents are generated will be very weak.tin hat on.

Personally, I always find it a bit of a task terminating tails into the main switch when run through the same hole, without some twisting or moving of the isolator. How they've managed to do it via two holes involves some skill :rolleyes:

@bigspark17. reason was that the metal 3 phase isolator was supplied by A.N Other and the casing was too shallow to fit anything bigger than 25mm stuffers/glands. so they had to go in individually. i stick with a C3 though, as there is no danger , immediate or potential. bearing i mind that with plastic glands the closet the casing is to the cable is about 28mm,so whatever eddy currents are generated will be very weak.tin hat on.
Couldn't you slot the holes?

Couldn't you slot the holes?
Yes that would be the easiest solution, then seal it up.

Without actually seeing the situation, as it is non compliant and the actual potential danger risk is extremely small I would probably C3 it.

Slot the holes??? I don't know how some of you lot sleep at night. This is a domestic CU, it will get about 20A through it on average, producing eddy currents of zilch. The risk is non existent, how the hell can it be a C2? It's simple to use a purpose made Tails/Earth gland but not doing so will not result in any problems, or cause any insomnia, certainly not here anyway....

Slot the holes??? I don't know how some of you lot sleep at night. This is a domestic CU, it will get about 20A through it on average, producing eddy currents of zilch. The risk is non existent, how the hell can it be a C2? It's simple to use a purpose made Tails/Earth gland but not doing so will not result in any problems, or cause any insomnia, certainly not here anyway....
Not disagreeing with you about the domestic CU, my reference to slotting the holes was to Post 12.

Reply to Electromagnectic Effects in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock