Discuss Electronics/circuit make up etc in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

diddles

New be on this, please bear with me - I appreciate this site is mainly for Sparkies, but I wondered if anyone is on here who likes getting the soldering iron out making up circuits, for instance - Shed alarm, Site alarm, Solar panel, put together a Wind Turbine that works, useful on the allotment with no power of any level.

New be on this, please bear with me - I appreciate this site is mainly for Sparkies, but I wondered if anyone is on here who likes getting the soldering iron out making up circuits, for instance - Shed alarm, Site alarm, Solar panel, put together a Wind Turbine that works, useful on the allotment with no power of any level.

Regularly, to fix my pinball machines, mainly.
That and my old hifi amps, dried out electrolytic caps usually. And other stuff.
Non of that SMT nonsense though, eyes are shagged out. :-(

Search for ''Velleman Kits'' or something like that (spelling) Maplins did sell them at one point and they were better quality I found.

Hi diddles, welcome to the forum. I'm a Electrical and Electronic Design Engineer so equally happy with questions about either dicipline, you are welcome PM if you want specific electronics help. Mark

Rapid online do some good kits as well, i get them for my students, they range from a couple of quid each to lots.

there is a website called eHow which is very useful for learning about electronics as well.

Cheers...........Howard

Regularly, to fix my pinball machines, mainly.
That and my old hifi amps, dried out electrolytic caps usually. And other stuff.
Non of that SMT nonsense though, eyes are shagged out. :-(

bit hard to avoid nowadays but then that is what magnifying glasses (or better stilll, 3D microscopes) are for :lol:

Another electronic engineer here. If you want to play with software and control stuff as well then have a look at the arduino boards. Lots of versions around with prototyping options.

Perhaps the "you cannot teach an old dog new tricks" comes into play here, not into c++, micro processors, more like plug in relays and uniselectors, etc, but at least I've left valves behind. But it would be an idea to look into it.

Thanks - diddles.

MarkieSparkie,

Oh thanks, that is usefull to know, in case ever needed; I have quite a few component bits and pieces that being thrown out, (no big items /test equipment though), - shame not to use some of them.

Diddles.

Archy

Thanks - I think that my earlier reply did not go anywhere, not used to this/pressed the wrong button - Re- pin ball machines, you perhaps might be able to help me in the possible direction of anyone or company who might be interested in a pin ball machine; a family is trying to dispose of a large collection of them, taking up a whole rented garage space. If so I will pass the message on. I do not know if they have looked on eBay yet for an idea. They are quite facinating, but they do take up space.

diddles

Reply to Electronics/circuit make up etc in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net