Discuss Emergency key switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. Having a debate with another sparks regarding the set up for operating emergency lighting via key switch. I've always been under the impression it's to isolate every light on that switch bringing on just the emergencies. Obviously to mimic as close as an emergency situation. However he seems to think the non emergencies still need to be functional. Is there a set reg?? Is it preference?? I get some environments this would apply. Maybe hospitals etc or if an emergency test can't be done out of hours. But even then surely the emergency lighting is sufficient. If you can't rely on it safely for a test what chance do you have for an emergency!!

Normally it is preferable to make sure main lights stay on as it presents a hazard with no light in corridors and offices etc. as well as inconvenience to workers etc. It helps the tester as well with writing the results.

Try find this thread from 23feb from bottom of this thread page. Vortigern has good views being a learned gentleman that he is.

Hey guys,

How do you all wire your emergency lighting?

Option 1. When the key switch is switched, ALL lights go off and the emergencies stay on.
Option 2. The lights operate as normal when the key switch is switched but the emergencies switch to emergency mode.

With option 2, am I correct in thinking there are 2 permanent lives from the DB (brown & black), the black is the PL to the fitting (via a key switch) and the brown is the SL via a switch, PIR etc? What I cant understand is how the fitting goes into emergency mode when the key switch is switched if the fitting also has a SL from a PIR etc. Do I have to switch both via a double pole key switch???

I am probably overthinking this TBH.

Thanks in advance.

The test is more likely to be done if the non EMs stay on.
The test isn't to see the EM light coverage, that should already have been checked, it's only testing that they come on and stay on.

EM lighting is to allow a safe escape, not to allow normal working to carry on.

I don't have a recent copy of BS5266-1 to hand but Reg 8.3.3 gives guidance, interpret this as you will. Your intention when fitting test facilities is not to create a hazard and isolating the general lighting may well do this. Test facilities are not there to mimic an emergency situation but to carry out routine and duration tests.

Hi all. Having a debate with another sparks regarding the set up for operating emergency lighting via key switch. I've always been under the impression it's to isolate every light on that switch bringing on just the emergencies. Obviously to mimic as close as an emergency situation. However he seems to think the non emergencies still need to be functional. Is there a set reg?? Is it preference?? I get some environments this would apply. Maybe hospitals etc or if an emergency test can't be done out of hours. But even then surely the emergency lighting is sufficient. If you can't rely on it safely for a test what chance do you have for an emergency!!
BS 5266-1 up until the most recent (2016) version specifically stated that they should not cause interruption of the normal lighting.

Reply to Emergency key switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock