Discuss Emergency lighting - Borrowed Light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Ken77

Hi all,

I am currently looking at emergency lighting requirements for a church. The main body of the Church has windows all around with huge Stained glass Window above the Altar. These windows let in a huge amount of light, even at night time.

My questions is this - can I factor in ambient light of Street lights etc when accessing the need for emergency lighting as without turning the lights on I can walk around the building and see where I am going.

There are no curtains, shutters etc for Windows so light entering the building is never obstructed.

Oooooo I'm going to stick my head on the line here.
Don't know much about emergency lights, but we used to work on the light the emergency light gives off and how much light is within a certain area.
I wouldn't factor in ambient lights, like streets lights. What happens if there is a local power cut. People still need to leave the building and there will be no street lights.

You can use adjacent borrowed lighting provided it is available at material times and provides adequate illumination however, you have no control over this with street lighting due to possible failure and the chance they are switched off as a cost saving exercise.

well God did say "let there be light", thus proving that us electricians are God's chosen people.

The first electricians in Gods world where candle lighters........... hmmmmm invents EL system for churches where if the power fails all candles spontaneously ignite.

Sorry lads, bought up as a Catholic so to me the church is a bit of a joke ;o)))))

The first electricians in Gods world where candle lighters........... hmmmmm invents EL system for churches where if the power fails all candles spontaneously ignite.

Sorry lads, bought up as a Catholic so to me the church is a bit of a joke ;o)))))
church needs to get some joan of arc candles then.

Sorry lads, bought up as a Catholic so to me the Catholic church is a bit of a joke ;o)))))
Corrected you there and the Christian world agree.

You cannot rely on street lighting. As Spoon says: Imagine a large substation failure, the power will fail not only in the church, but also the street lights will go out.
Now you have a church full of a crowd of people who may not be as capable as the majority of the population, in a very very dark, unfamiliar space....

And do not forget you'll need an EM light outside the exit doors as well as inside....

Reply to Emergency lighting - Borrowed Light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock