Discuss Emergency lighting help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The lights illuminate when the test switch is operated.
The lights do not illuminate when power to the entire installation is lost, ie. a power cut.

That is not likely to be caused by the lights being fed from a different circuit.

My guess would be that the test switch is incorrectly wired so that it is connected to the switched live terminal thus switching the light on rather than simulating a power failure.
If this is the case then it probably doesn't have an unswitched supply at all and so the battery hasn't been charged.

If they're non maintained and work on the flick test then they will work in a power cut.

You must be switching the wrong MCB off.

He has stated that they did not work in a power cut.

Don't assume that the test switch has been wired correctly,

Depending on where the board is they may illuminate for a short period then have failed by the time he gets there. He may only be flicking the test facility quickly but need more info and he seems to have gone.

Depending on where the board is they may illuminate for a short period then have failed by the time he gets there. He may only be flicking the test facility quickly but need more info and he seems to have gone.

It's seems unlikely if they have new batteries, but of course is not impossible.

The OP doesn't say explicitly that the charge indicator goes off when the test switch is operated, only that it did when the supply was pulled. The only consistent explanation seems to be Davesparks'...

It's seems unlikely if they have new batteries, but of course is not impossible.
May have replaced batteries due to previous failure when in fact that wasn't the issue, like you say maybe no permanent supply or the fiitings have duff charging parts.

Nope, i can see the lights from the consumer unit and watch the lights when i switch them off.

Hmm. If the green LEDS stay on when the test switch is operated, the wiring is wrong as per Davesparks' suggestion but the fact the LED is on should indicate reliably that the battery is on charge, not merely that the PL is live. So although the test switch would not test the fitting in the intended manner, if the battery is good then the fitting should still function during power loss. If the green LEDs go off when the test switch is operated, then there's no evidence of a wiring error and again the fitting should still work.

I think we've gone as far as we can go with the evidence available and investigation with test equipment is now needed to make any useful progres...

Nope, i can see the lights from the consumer unit and watch the lights when i switch them off.
Which could just be the lamp obscuring the LED
The green led is illuminated and goes off when flick tested and mcb switched off.

So test facility operates them all but the mcb does not even though all the charge leds extinguish when the mcb is off.

Hmm. If the green LEDS stay on when the test switch is operated, the wiring is wrong as per Davesparks' suggestion but the fact the LED is on should indicate reliably that the battery is on charge, not merely that the PL is live. So although the test switch would not test the fitting in the intended manner, if the battery is good then the fitting should still function during power loss. If the green LEDs go off when the test switch is operated, then there's no evidence of a wiring error and again the fitting should still work.

I think we've gone as far as we can go with the evidence available and investigation with test equipment is now needed to make any useful progres...
Yes thanks everyone, our contractors are coming in Monday to take a look as they have done some work on the lights. I thought i would put it out there just in case there was an easy fix without me calling them.

Interesting post. As previously commented on by others. I'd be looking into the key switch possibly switching incorrectly perhaps the switch feed, strange that although the battery is charged it does not illuminate when power is cut.
I've previously seen like for like lamp changes cause electronic ballasts to become faulty on em lighting. They can be high maintenance sensitive bits of kit

Reply to Emergency lighting help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock