Discuss Emergency lighting qualification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

peterl3986

Hi,

Was just wondering if there is any specific qualificatuon required if I want to in install emergency lighting in a new shop?
Any help would be much appreciated

Peter

You need relevant copies of BS5266, this gives you information of luminaire type, lighting levels, location requirements and the purpose of emergency lighting. Also you need to consider signage and facilities for routine testing.
It is not a case of just fitting them and hope for the best.
Record drawings should also be provided.

In addition to the comments RE: BS 5266 I would be asking for the Fire Risk Assessment (FRA). Let them determine what is required for the design of the emergency lighting system. No need to take all of the duty holder's responsibilities from him!

In addition to the comments RE: BS 5266 I would be asking for the Fire Risk Assessment (FRA). Let them determine what is required for the design of the emergency lighting system. No need to take all of the duty holder's responsibilities from him!
A fire risk assessment may identity the the lack or need of em ltg but it does not provide design information.

The FIA run a good one day introductory course that will give you a good basic understanding.
I did an intensive week course which was very informative, a day would give you a very basic introduction indeed.

A fire risk assessment may identity the the lack or need of em ltg but it does not provide design information.
It will to an extent - e.g. that 3 hour fittings are needed due to reoccupation, familiarity with the premises etc. You can't really begin a design for an emergency lighting system without having seen the FRA.

Maybe but a lighting designer will gather the necessary information prior to the design. A fire risk assessment primarily is looking for fire prevention and should a fire start, the warning of fire by some means, safe evacuation, fire/smoke containment etc.. Whilst I check adequacies of safety systems I do not give necessary design information.

Who was that with?
The Fire Brigades Fire Service College, Moreton-In-Marsh, Gloucestershire. Was very good but we were told you need years of experience, bit like our trade I suppose because a week couldn't possibly cover it, like I say it was good but expensive even 10 years or so ago. I done a lot over the years from small shops to office buildings in the city, one of these city buildings was there a week assessing each floor individually then bringing it together as a whole, interesting.

Reply to Emergency lighting qualification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock