Discuss Emergency Lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SparkB

Working on an EM lighting install in an existing warehouse premises which currently has none at all.

The existing general lighting is a mix of FL and discharge lighting across 7 circuits.

The EM lighting being fitted is a mix of Non maintained and maintained fittings.

I have been told that the non maintained fittings must operate in case of failure of the local lighting circuit, but that the maintained fittings could be on their own circuit as they are lit 24/7 anyway.

In either case, failure of any one of the 7 circuits would not render any part of the building in darkness due to the other lighting providing light from an adjacent area.

Just wanted to get anyone's thoughts on this, thanks in advance for any help or assistance.

It is a requirement of BS5266 that non maintained fittings operate upon failure of the local general lighting circuit or they serve no purpose. Maintained fittings this does not apply to as they are permanently illuminated, it is possible to switch maintained fittings with the general lighting so they are not illuminated when the general lighting is turned off, the term used for this is that they are illuminated at material times. If you don't have copies of BS5266 then I would suggest getting them because it looks like you are seeking advise to install something you are not sure of, these are safety systems and should be designed at the very least by a competent person. I have seen so many systems which are not fit for purpose.

how are the existing lights switched ? why would you want maintained as light from existing fittings ?

Trying to ask if although on 24/7 was there switches for these circuits or direct from mcb/protectice device.The light output from existing fittings it would be no point in maintained.what type of emergency lighting is being installed ? it's all relevant to the design for example testing etc.

The fittings are going to be NM LED twin spots and Maintained LED bulkheads (8w T5 equivalent).
I have asked for a copy of the RA.

The bulkheads were to be wired as NM, however I am thinking that in maintained mode they would help to address issues with supplying from the local lighting circuit where there are numerous local circuits in the same area and feel it is not practical to put 1 or 2 on each local circuit where they are next to each other.

I was giving an example of how M fittings can be connected. You I think are basing this on the 8w bulkhead type which are rarely switched off with the general lighting although not unheard off. M fittings can come in a variety of types like modulars which are switched off whilst the charge supply remains live. Whatever the style it is a requirement for M fittings to be on at material times. Testing of systems will not change no matter the type installed.

The bulkheads were to be wired as NM, however I am thinking that in maintained mode they would help to address issues with supplying from the local lighting circuit where there are numerous local circuits in the same area and feel it is not practical to put 1 or 2 on each local circuit where they are next to each other.
Maintained fittings should be on at material times. Do you have copies of the relevant BS5266 standards or is this a suck it and see exercise.

Reply to Emergency Lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock