Discuss Employability of overseas trained Electricians in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Y

yannick

Hi I am currently in my last year as an Apprentice Electrician in Germany. I really want to move to the UK and work there after my Exam. I realise I must get my Documents translated by UK Naric, pass the 17th Edition BS7671 Exam and hold a SJIB/JIB Card in order to be employable.

My question is if anyone has any personal experience in a simular situation or if there is anything else I can do to up my chances of employment to make up for my lack of experience? It seems all companies want at least 2 years of experience.

Also whats the best way to apply as I doubt applications from Germany will be taken seriously?

Yannick

Hello Yannick,
I was in a similar situation, but I wanted to leave the U.K! (I have, I'm in France)
Naric etc… Pain in the ---. I know people that studied under City and Guilds outside of the U.K (and europe) and were denied a J.I.B card, even with U.K recognised qualifications.
Difficult to say what naric will say your qualifications will be after 'translation', and how high the J.I.B will make you jump in order to get a card. The J.I.B will, at worst give you a white J.I.B card (general operative I think).
Companies will take you on with a white card, but maybe as an 'mate' possibly improver. As the chap above says, employment agencies are an option.
Good luck!

Reply to Employability of overseas trained Electricians in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, I figured the general forum may be the best bet :) Thank you for taking...
Replies
Views
Looking for a bit of advice from the wider audience / those who may have done similar before. I entered the game a bit later / in a non...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I am wondering about becoming an electrician of some form or another and thought to come to an...
Replies
Views
having enrolled myself onto an electricians course at the end of jan, after deciding on a complete career change of baker/retail worker in the 25...
Replies
Views
Hey all, I searched for other threads of this but the threads seem to be a few years old. I'm a 36 year old Electrician from WA with 18 years...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock