Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss employing 'casual labourer' in the Business Related area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. J.C.E

J.C.E Electrician's Arms

Any sparks on here care to share any advice/past experience

Needing the odd hand now I am getting little busier- can't see it being more than 5 days a month if that and not month in month out.

laborer/mate is self employed (actually has his own business- but not as busy as me)

wouldn't be employment- more sub contractor

is it still a case of getting him to invoice me his day rate £150 (which I put in my books as an expense) and leave him to put in his books as an invoice

or have gone these days and do I need to register as a contractor and pay him CIS?

cheers guys

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

yeah will have all to be CIS.

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Unless its "maintenance"

4. GMES

GMES Chief Gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

As Lee says you will need to register for Cisco the main gripe with that is having to remember to let them know when you don't use him otherwise it becomes a very expensive mistake

5. GMES

GMES Chief Gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Cis lol predictive text

6. Rpa07

Rpa07 1000 posts only 44653 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Could he not just pay his invoice and let the sub look after his own taxes? 5 days out of the month I'm not sure if I would trust someone else to deal with it (been stung previously) let's face it, it is only a greedy HMRC that are demanding this weekly tax payment so they can draw the interest on it instead of yourself. What does @Murdoch@Murdoch mean by not if its maintenance?

7. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

The best person to advise you is your accountant, they will know all the rules.

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Its my understanding that "maintenance" work does not fall under CIS.....

I think that builders and alike wanting to avoid the aggravation of CIS is a key driver in the "cash" market...

• Like Like x 2
  9. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Repairs or extension to a 'system', eg plumbing or electrics, don't fall under CIS.
    See para A16 of this from HMRC:
    Construction Industry Scheme: a guide for contractors and subcontractors (CIS 340) - GOV.UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/construction-industry-scheme-cis-340/construction-industry-scheme-a-guide-for-contractors-and-subcontractors-cis-340

I've persuaded a maintenance company that I've done odd bits of repair work for as a subcontractor, not to apply CIS.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

A million percent...I know of at least two builders that have done really well for themselves and wont take a job on unless its pound notes. Some of them have been 100K refurbs/extensions.