Discuss Energy Storage Systems(battery Back Up) Help Required in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

solarhappy

First post guys,

I am looking at adding battery back up to my system, however i dont quite understand how if the energy generated from the panels is being used to charge the battery, how then does that unit register on the generation meter? The way i see it, is that it wont and therefore id lose FIt payments?

can anyone offer some help or information on this point please.

Thanks in advance

You have a huge amount of homework to do. Will depend if you choose a system that connects to the AC or DC side of the inverter. If DC side, you then need to calculate the loss of FIT payments that will occur due to the conversion losses at the battery pack etc. You also need top to look that if on the AC side (and possibly the DC side) if the batteries can be charged from the mains and what are the cost implications of this in relation to the expected savings.

At this point in time I can see little reason to install battery storage as the capital cost is currently too great for it ever to pay back in the lifetime of the batteries. Taking cost of electricity as a constant, the capital cost needs to fall by a half to make this worthwhile. Costs will come down, but we are not there yet.

Have seen a couple of Sunny Island systems up here, but also incorporating generator backup. Unless you are off grid, I'd leave your money in the bank for the time being.

You have a huge amount of homework to do. Will depend if you choose a system that connects to the AC or DC side of the inverter. If DC side, you then need to calculate the loss of FIT payments that will occur due to the conversion losses at the battery pack etc. You also need top to look that if on the AC side (and possibly the DC side) if the batteries can be charged from the mains and what are the cost implications of this in relation to the expected savings.

At this point in time I can see little reason to install battery storage as the capital cost is currently too great for it ever to pay back in the lifetime of the batteries. Taking cost of electricity as a constant, the capital cost needs to fall by a half to make this worthwhile. Costs will come down, but we are not there yet.

Have seen a couple of Sunny Island systems up here, but also incorporating generator backup. Unless you are off grid, I'd leave your money in the bank for the time being.

Thank you for your reply.

I would be looking at installing the the gen meter at inverter side and the energy meter at grid side to make it work best i feel.

bit of a sweeping statement, there are situations in which it does make financial sense, although there are many more where it doesn't.

It may help if you provide details of your energy production and usage. Production should be more certain: usage detection will need you to monitor your patterns of use over hourly, daily, and weekly periods.
If you have a 2kWp PV and you have a family of 4 who are home-working, kids on holiday, you are likely using all your production already. If you have a 4kWp+ PV, but you are away from home during the day then fire up the electric-heating and the home cinema in the evening, you might benefit from shifting your peak hours of use by incorporating a battery storage.

Reply to Energy Storage Systems(battery Back Up) Help Required in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock