Discuss EXAM SUCCESS TESTING AND INSPECTING in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, guys
Ive just enrolled for a EAL awarded Testing and inspecting (C&G2394/5 equivalent) course next week 7-11 nov, but I wished to study the EXAM SUCCESS book this weekend
Anyone that lives not more than 30 miles from Borehamwood (WD61TF) can loan it or sell it to me and Ill coma and pick it up today or tomorrow
Please express your oppinion about EAL awarding body instead of C&G?
Thank you very much

Having just done the earl course. It's not an easy course. Read gn3 that whet most of the exam is based round. Have you done much testing and inspecting. Pass mark is around 60% for both exams

Having just done the earl course. It's not an easy course. Read gn3 that whet most of the exam is based round. Have you done much testing and inspecting. Pass mark is around 60% for both exams
Thank you. I dont have much experience and I know is not an easy exam thats why I want to do the most of this weekend to study the Exam Success book. But Ill read GN3. Do you think Fluke 1653B is a good solid tester, has it all the features necessary to do testing and inspecting jobs

I'm assuming it's still a written exam.
So, my exam advice for you is DO NOT waffle!
Keep your answers concise, write them as bullet points if need be, it's not an English Language exam.
A classic is Earth rod testing, so just list the steps required.
Make sure all your terminology is spot on, so read GN3, then re-read it several more times ad nauseam.
Finally, have a quick scan through the paper at the start, then answer all the questions you're sure about first, leaving space to fill later if need be. Then, go back and answer all the tough stuff.

Practice practice testing and fault finding you get just over 2 hours to do install board with faults and the time goes fast. There was 2 of us doing the course other guy left at the practical exams as he just could not do it

Keep your answers concise, write them as bullet points if need be, it's not an English Language exam.
Make sure all your terminology is spot on, so read GN3, then re-read it several more times ad nauseam.
Finally, have a quick scan through the paper at the start, then answer all the questions you're sure about first, leaving space to fill later if need be. Then, go back and answer all the tough stuff.
Thank you
Whats the difficult part of this exam? loads of terms never met but have to be imagined instead of known directly? lack of experience that cannot be compiled in few days in practice? the testing processes are not easy to understand?

Practice practice testing and fault finding you get just over 2 hours to do install board with faults and the time goes fast. There was 2 of us doing the course other guy left at the practical exams as he just could not do it
Thank you. So is about fault finding skills one has, and if inexperienced much takes longer to find faults
I dont have much experience with fault finding I must be honest so I should expect some difficulties

The exam succes book may lead you astray as the questions are subtler in the exam than those given in the book. EAL is open book and C&G is closed book which means on C&G you have to actually know the answers, not look them up. For that reason employers will always prefer C&G. Its all electronic now.

The exam succes book may lead you astray as the questions are subtler in the exam than those given in the book. EAL is open book and C&G is closed book which means on C&G you have to actually know the answers, not look them up. For that reason employers will always prefer C&G. Its all electronic now.
thank you. Now if being awarded with EAL can I go just for 2394/5 exam and get C&G2394/5 somewhere in the future?

Sound advice from Archy.
Dont bother with 'Exam Success' books. All the answers are in GN3. There is no substitute for having a thorough working knowledge of its contents. Pay attention to exact terminology, correct sequences and the use of accurate diagrams. The questions need to read carefully and answered in the format asked for. For example, don't write an A4 size load of subjective waffle when a short list is asked for. Also, check out the Examiners feedback on the C&G website and this will show you where the main weak arrears and common mistakes are made.

Can't comment on the EAL version but success in the G&G2394/5 written exams is unlikely without structured preparation.

As for the practical, get some experience of testing in the correct sequence and focus on interpreting test results. Again time is short so you need to know what you're doing. Above all - safety,safety, safety.

Sound advice from Archy.
Dont bother with 'Exam Success' books. All the answers are in GN3. There is no substitute for having a thorough working knowledge of its contents. Pay attention to exact terminology, correct sequences and the use of accurate diagrams. The questions need to read carefully and answered in the format asked for. For example, don't write an A4 size load of subjective waffle when a short list is asked for. Also, check out the Examiners feedback on the C&G website and this will show you where the main weak arrears and common mistakes are made.

Can't comment on the EAL version but success in the G&G2394/5 written exams is unlikely without structured preparation.

As for the practical, get some experience of testing in the correct sequence and focus on interpreting test results. Again time is short so you need to know what you're doing. Above all - safety,safety, safety.
Thank you . Ill get thoorroughly on GN3

Why not now instead of EAL
Because now I have some time in my hands and I want to use it. I couldnt find yesterday such a course organised next week other than ina Centre where is organized in the same classroom for EAL and C&G2394/5 but just the exam is done for EAL next week just after the course, but for C&G next year in July. is the same training, the same price, recognized by JIB equally, but after a week all being good with EAL I get a qualification but with G&G just training and next year in July the exam that gives me the qualification. IF I invest £900 now I intend the week after to apply already for job being "qualified" not only "trained".
The centres where C&G2394/5 is done with exam right after have courses available other dates, have to book in advance, dont know whats gonna be my situation in advance. NOW is now and Im between jobs, dont want a holliday but to get something done

You may have more information that may help you from the Chief Examiners Reports on the C%G website , than the success book, as the 'Book is written to compliment their exam which may differ in layout and content.

Still Id like to ask
Irina the whole point of 2395 is to sharpen your understanding of inspection and testing. Sight is primarily the most important sense. If you missed the post (no. 8) where your question is already answered it is an example (which we all do) of your observational powers, which are critical to being a good inspector.

Last edited by a moderator:
books with us the GN3 and the BS7671?
Naturally this is the case as the guidance notes are based around BS7671. Specifically Chapter 62:621 which is solely Periodic Inspection and testing. Which again is sometimes cause for confusion in the exam as people mix it up with Initial Verification. Reading that page can be helpful. But the guidance Note 3 expands on the matter. It also ties up with EAWR, H&SAW section 6 legislation. Again best practice guide 4, GS38 and so on. So a working knowledge of these are also required.

Irina the whole point of 2395 is to sharpen your understanding of inspection and testing. Sight is primarily the most important sense. If you missed the post (no. 8) where your question is already answered it is an example (which we all do) of your observational powers, which are critical to being a good inspector.
good point. came accross with a n older post about 2395 and now I search it and found more topics already spoken about on this forum and Ill read them all. Thank you

Reply to EXAM SUCCESS TESTING AND INSPECTING in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock