Discuss Extending a lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GEelecs

Hello All,

A friend of mine wants me to put lighting into his attached garage,

He wants 2 fluorescent tube lights (28W) putting in.

I have passed my domestic installer course and 17th edition course last year and I'm Part-P registered.
(I'm currently waiting to register with NAPIT and to be assessed on this circuit hopefully)

I have had a look at his house electrics.

Its a TN-C-S system with the old fuses. (Needs Updating Soon)

I'm sure I can spur off the lights in the living room into the garage but I cant exceed the current rating of the cable.

There are only 4 lights on the circuit each with 60 watt bulbs so 60 x 4 = 240w + 28w (268w)

268/230 = 1.2A.

The lights are wired with 1mm cable. (16A Clipped Direct)

Can I extend a circuit on a old fuse board? I'm sure I can :90:

Cheers

(Advice will be very much appreciated)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

A friend of mine wants me to put lighting into his attached garage,

He wants 2 fluorescent tube lights (28W) putting in.

I have passed my domestic installer course and 17th edition course last year and I'm Part-P registered.
(I'm currently waiting to register with NAPIT and to be assessed on this circuit hopefully)

I have had a look at his house electrics.

Its a TN-C-S system with the old fuses. (Needs Updating Soon)

I'm sure I can spur off the lights in the living room into the garage but I cant exceed the current rating of the cable.

There are only 4 lights on the circuit each with 60 watt bulbs so 60 x 4 = 240w + 28w (268w)

268/230 = 1.2A.

The lights are wired with 1mm cable.

Can I extend a circuit on a old fuse board? I'm sure I can :90:

Cheers

(Advice will be very much appreciated)

you have to make sure the work you complete complies or exceeds the current regulations. Have you checked earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate?

I haven't had a look but could I come off the rose?

I had a look around the house there is no bonding to the gas or water but its an old install.

GS can you please only post once and not the same post 4 times, each post as to be approved due to you being a new member.

Sorry MOD, I wasn't sure how the forum worked, I was wondering where my posts went.

Yes, I will do that first before installing the new lighting circuit, I have noticed that the bonding for the supply seems like 10mm and not 16mm can I change this or do I have to get the board to do this?

Sorry MOD, I wasn't sure how the forum worked, I was wondering where my posts went.

Yes, I will do that first before installing the new lighting circuit, I have noticed that the bonding for the supply seems like 10mm and not 16mm can I change this or do I have to get the board to do this?

No Drama it's just that your posts sit in a queue until a member of staff gets to them it's not that you're being ignored, Once you get to 6 posts there is no need to approve each one.

Bonding for the supply?

Thanks, I was going to check this in my 17th Regs.

So if I bond then take the lighting circuit off the rose or use a junction box.

All will be fine?

The old wire fuse board had no RCD because I'm extending a circuit is it mandatory to provide RCD?

Clipped direct ceiling level and into the attached garage lights will be mounted on the joists, so RCD is required.

Can I fit a RCD/RCBO to a old fuse board? (NOPE)

All is good then :)

1. Bonding
2. Rose Or Junction box to spur
3. No RCD required
4. Test & Inspect
5. Certificate

Did I Pass :)

Reply to Extending a lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net