Discuss Extending light switch wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

boj86

I'm about to rebuild a stud wall at the back of my kitchen prior to ripping the existing kitchen out and installing a new one. the light switch for the room at the back of the kitchen is in a really inconvenient place, and I'd like to move it and put it in the new stud wall.

What I want to know if there's a safe and legal way to extend the existing electrical cable as there's not enough reach on what's there currently.

As you can probably tell I'm no sparky, and the work will be done by a professional whilst they move the sockets in the kitchen, I just need to check it's feasible so I can allow for it in the stud work.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

yes, is possible, safe and legal if extended cable will be routed in prescribed zones. there are maintenance free connectors, or it can be soldered or crimped to extend it. hopefully your electrician is a professional and he wont just use a connector block and tape to do it.

Reply to Extending light switch wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I was ironing and lost power to the bedroom and bathroom. All outlets and lights. I checked the box and reset breakers still no power. I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm planning to remove a stud wall seperating my dining room and kitchen. On the dining room side of the stud wall, there is a double...
Replies
Views
Howdy DIY soldiers, first post here. My question comes down to whether it would be particularly unsafe for me to temporarily wire nut and tape a...
Replies
Views
We bought a house with an array of broken (some cosmetic issues, some functional) downlights under cupboards in our kitchen. The bulb seem to be...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new here so apologies if this isn't the correct area to post this. We moved in to a bungalow around 8 months ago and had a full re-wire...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock