Discuss Extension Cables able to take power safely? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bryanferguson88

Hello all,

Looking for some sound advice about the "pub shed" that's in the house I've just purchased.

It has 2 4 way 25m 13A extensions ran into it totaling 8 sockets in total.

What is plugged in is:

Strip light(not sure of power of this)
Tv
Small drinks fridge capable of having 48 beers
2 oil heaters 9 fin 1000kw
An iPod docking station

Is all of this safe to be plugged in and I would assume they've had more plugged in as has 2 spare sockets - ANY ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Quite simple really "get it done properly by an experienced Electrician" For safety's sake get a supply wired to your shed PDQ, before the 25M lead melts, or the 13 amp fuse keeps blowing and some Muppet bypasses the fuse altogether, one question how has the extension lead been installed to the shed?

Quite simple really "get it done properly by an experienced Electrician" For safety's sake get a supply wired to your shed PDQ, before the 25M lead melts, or the 13 amp fuse keeps blowing and some muppet bypasses the fuse altogether

That's what I expected, appreciate your time

Quite simple really "get it done properly by an experienced Electrician" For safety's sake get a supply wired to your shed PDQ, before the 25M lead melts, or the 13 amp fuse keeps blowing and some Muppet bypasses the fuse altogether, one question how has the extension lead been installed to the shed?
My mate down the road spent XXXK£ building a "summer house/man cave/games room type structure. It is know as the "leisure centre" locally. You could sleep dozens in there. Guess how he has powered it? A bit of 13A flex threaded though the hedge to a multiple extension lead, plugged into an outside socket. He has had several extensions added to his original house, spent a fortune, but has all sorts of 3036 boards and RCD enclosures all mackled together. "Ah it will be OK, it has an RCD plug on it" he says. Always amazes me how people will just do the bare minimum and think nothing of it! And he is a professional person!

My mate down the road spent XXXK£ building a "summer house/man cave/games room type structure. It is know as the "leisure centre" locally. You could sleep dozens in there. Guess how he has powered it? A bit of 13A flex threaded though the hedge to a multiple extension lead, plugged into an outside socket. He has had several extensions added to his original house, spent a fortune, but has all sorts of 3036 boards and RCD enclosures all mackled together. "Ah it will be OK, it has an RCD plug on it" he says. Always amazes me how people will just do the bare minimum and think nothing of it! And he is a professional person!
Not a Pro Electrician I take it? some people are just plain stupid as far as Electrical Sfey is concerned.

Not a Pro Electrician I take it? some people are just plain stupid as far as Electrical Sfey is concerned.
No an Architect!
Jeez wouldn't want to live in anything he designed

I was always under the impression that an extension lead is a temporary solution to provide power. If you need an extension lead for permanent power then there is not enough sockets on the mains ring for what you require. With the load you have explained extension leads are not the answer.

Yeah makes you laugh doesn't it. TBTH I've almost given up on pricing jobs in peoples homes and just concentrate on contract work and commercial clients...Fed up with the look they give you when you hand them the price for rewiring the kitchen that their just about to spend 20K........20K on a kitchen but grudge the £800 to have safe electrics.

sounds like my old boss but I bet it did not stop you having one of his cold beers out of his dodgy powered fidge

Reply to Extension Cables able to take power safely? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock