Discuss Extension lighting problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi boys and girls,

Hoping you can advise me utilising some of your experience!

I have a 6a mcb on a circuit that is rcd protected feeding the ground floor lights along with lighting in an extension. Upon changing a bulb (within the extension) there was a flash and the mcb tripped. It was turned back on but none of the extension lights will now turn on, however the main house will and functions normally. I have been looking for where the extension lights are fed from but can't find it? How would you guys go about identifying the source of the problem? Would you use a set process?? If so what would it be? Sorry if this is a very silly question but I'm just learning lol.

Cheers,

Martin

Usually they would be fed from the nearest ceiling rose.So if you were putting a new bulb in presumably they were ok til you did that yes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi vortigern,

Thanks for the reply, yes they were fine till I changed the bulb. All the lights are downlights in the main house. So no ceiling rose, would they just be wired from a junction box at one of the existing lights and why would it suddenly stop when changing a bulb?

Thanks.

Is the bulb in some way defective. Normally an extension would take the feed from the nearest ceiling light. I assume there is a fault between live and neutral. I expect I would look at the bulb, lamp holder then the wiring in the rose. What position is the light i.e. the first or second ? I would then disconnect the supply cable to the extension and test out the cable. Assuming I did not find a loose connection at that point. This would identify the problem pretty fast.

If the lights are not working you may be missing the neutral.

I would do R1 + R2 then Rn + R2 to see what is going on or simply use a wander lead .....

Sounds like something may have shorted where you removed the bulb which has resulted in the loss of line or neutral conductor. Maybe the lampholder twisted, created a short which ruptured a conductor. I would look where the fault first occurred.

agree with westward10. you probably have a loose connection at the l.ight you replaced the lamp at, which shorted to another conductor, and is now dissed.

Which MCB tripped ? Check there is not a FCU (used to be called a fused spur) with a five amp 5 fuse feeding the lights in the extension.

Reply to Extension lighting problem in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock