Discuss Extension of meter tails and the rules regarding this in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Razzmond

Hello all,

I have just been reading another post regarding a method of extending meter tails in a certain situation and just want to expand my knowledge on the subject.

If extending meter tails, I believe some kind of overcurrent protection/isolation method is require if longer then 3 meters? If this is the case what sort of items would you use to provide this protection and isolation?

If, for example, a customer wanted their CU moved into a seperate room, how would you guys do this?

Would it be ran under floorboards and dropped in from above or would it be chased in (that sounds like a ridiculous idea but just throwing it out there) or is there a different method the regs say you should use?

Sorry for the multiple questions and thanks in advance for your answers

metal wylex switchfuse, armored 16/25mm to where is needed, another metal box to terminate it.
i would rather have it on outside wall than chased in.
there will be a big bang and sparks flying if some numpty drills/nails it when buried in the wall.

Good point. Chasing it in did seem absurd but I've heard of worse!

Under floorboards then?

why moving it in the first place? if the reason is some fancy designer crap and people with too much money to burn then i wont run any tails and just walk away from it.

Just a hypothetical question. Ive been on jobs in the past where a customer wanted the CU moved higher/into a pantry. Never went back on that job as I went to work with a sparks who needed a hand but another post reminded me.

And I didn't know not to run tails. Hence why I'm asking. :dunce2:

If I don't ask I wont know. Cheers gents!

Just a hypothetical question. Ive been on jobs in the past where a customer wanted the CU moved higher/into a pantry. Never went back on that job as I went to work with a sparks who needed a hand but another post reminded me.

And I didn't know not to run tails. Hence why I'm asking. :dunce2:

If I don't ask I wont know. Cheers gents!

If it's just moving a DB slightly higher then you would more than likely still use tails depending on length/installation method. I thought your hypothetical question in your OP was on about moving a DB from one side of the house to the other.

Last edited:
Most customers when hit with the cost of relocating existing consumer units usually see the light and change their mind, however for the many circumstances where CU is remote to the meter point then the most practical way which also negates the need to have a RCD upfront covering a full installation is SWA from a Metalclad Switch Fuse ... this allows a standard twin rcd board to be fitted as normal. Many variables may mean other methods are more suited but you need to avoid an 1 RCD covering everything where possible.

If it's just moving a DB slightly higher then you would more than likely still use tails depending on length/installation method. I thought your hypothetical question in your OP was on about moving a DB from one side of the house to the other.

The question was just an 'in theory' question about moving the CU to the other side of the house leaving the meter where it is.

Reply to Extension of meter tails and the rules regarding this in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock