Discuss Exterior lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to swap an exterior tube lighting thing to 4 wall lights over a shop front for a friend. My question is what would you guys use for the neatest and tidiest way of splitting the cables e.g. From light 1 to light 2 etc etc? I cant do inside the light fitting as they just have a rubber gromit that would only maintain a seal around 1 individual round cable? I am reluctant to use adaptable boxes as they are so big and ugly.

Any advise or ideas would be great???

Many thanks,

Martin

What lights are you thinking of using?
What cable size is currently used for the light?
What fuse size is protecting the cable?

Tend to pop external LED lighting connections in a Wiska box here, you can get them fairly small. Not sure if that's the sort of thing you had in mind?

30 Amp Wiska Junction Box 85 x 85 x 51mm - Black IP66 - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK308B.html

Hi Hightower,

I was hoping for something a bit smaller than that, something that could be used almost inline. The lights are going in a line over a length of wall so using that would mean having to run 4 wires from the box for the entire length.

Hi Westward,

On the back of the cable entry (base of the light) their is a simple rubber grommet used to maintain ip rating, dont think it would be big enough to put two cables in through and if I did definitely wouldn't maintain rating or it would just split.
Sorry not clear, I meant split inside the building.

Don't bother using the grommit, just seal the entry after both cables have been entered using a bit silicone. I've actually installed lights (can't remember make but decent quality) that don't even provide a grommit and the MI say to use silicone sealant.

I would personally avoid the external junction box. Put it inside and run four cables to each light or if possible run pvc conduit internally and connect at through boxes using Wagos.

I would personally avoid the external junction box. Put it inside and run four cables to each light or if possible run pvc conduit internally and connect at through boxes using Wagos.
Westward,

The silicone sealing idea made my brain tick lol, so have been doing a bit of reading, have you ever used magic gel as this would seem the perfect solution!!!

Westward,

The silicone sealing idea made my brain tick lol, so have been doing a bit of reading, have you ever used magic gel as this would seem the perfect solution!!!

Never used it although had a play with some - seems an expensive option when silicone will do the job for a fraction of the cost.

It is debatable whether silicone affects the properties of the cable sheath as there are so many different varieties. If you need to seal cable entries use a product suitable for electrical work, best to carry out a job to a standard where it is not required at all. You see silicone used all the time when generally it is not necessary.

Well I often tell customers that I need to see the lights beforehand, and that if they don't support loop-in (or at least 2 cables), it's going to cost them extra and/or they'll be having another box on the wall!

Too many lighting manufacturers don't support the prospective installers. I recently grumbled to "DAR" lighting about a 25mm long "junction box" scarcely adequate for a single and very carefully trimmed 1mm cable, and got the unconcerned reply "DAR lighting don't recommend loop-in".

Try and find lights that have sufficient space inside them for two cables....easier said than done though. And preferably ones you could put a gland on. Keep the cable size down to as minimum as possible. Could use a 20mm conduit round terminal box as they are pretty unobtrusive, with a bush and gland on each exit.

Reply to Exterior lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net