Discuss External connections to a generator on an offroad truck. What cable to use? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mark42

-
Esteemed
Patron
Reaction score
I’m currently converting a Mercedes Unimog into a camper.

The camper body will be supplied with 230V for charging the on-board batteries, and/or running the aircon, which is too much for 24V inverter power.

I’ve chassis-mounted a 3kVA generator, made cheaply by reverse-engineering a portable site generator, fitting it in a chassis box (rear LHS), then duplicating the starter and other controls in the cab and the camper. There’s a changeover switch in the cab to select either generator or ‘shore’ power.

I though this part of the work was finished until I remembered that the 2.5mm SY I’ve used for distributing the mains power is not rated for outdoor use. Oh dear.

So what to use instead? I liked the idea of SY as the braid gives a bit or protection, and it’s very visible for inspection.

What are the alternatives? It needs to be flex as it runs along and between a chassis and sub-frame which flexes, and up into the cab which tilts for servicing. NYY is no good as it’s solid-core.

I can only think of rubber HO7, or blue arctic. Neither of these have much mechanical protection, which, considering the conditions the vehicle will occasionally be used in, is not ideal.

I could fit it in flexible conduit but space in the loom is already a bit tight, and that would also render it invisible for inspection.

Or is SY maybe OK? It’s not like it will be sitting in brilliant sunshine (UV) for years. It’s shaded underneath the chassis area.

What would you do?

External connections to a generator on an offroad truck. What cable to use? DSC_8723.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

External connections to a generator on an offroad truck. What cable to use? DSC_8725.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

External connections to a generator on an offroad truck. What cable to use? DSC_8727.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

External connections to a generator on an offroad truck. What cable to use? DSC_8726.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I'd go for the rubber cable, with flexible conduit for mechanical protection where required. Remember that you can get flexible conduit in a huge range of sizes, not just 20mm, 25mm, etc.

I would use H07RNF cable, the rubber is pretty thick on this cable and they are designed to be used in rough service, though not against metal edges.
If you wanted I suppose you could put a stainless steel braid over the cable, but you would probably need to earth it as an exposed conductive part.

Hi,H07RNF is more than adequate,if protected where necessary,with flexible conduit or braid.

I would re-position the 16A outlet,as it will have water driven into it,and is 90 degrees out of self draining:)

Love the Unimog,i have mounted cranes and MEWP's on some larger versions,and up until recently,did mods and maintenance on one which has been owned and used by NG since 1971!

I take it they aint just bobbing to the Cotswolds for a weekend...

That's some camper van that! Should have no trouble with muddy campsites :) Fuel economy may be a bit poor though :-( Daz

I’m currently converting a Mercedes Unimog into a camper.

The camper body will be supplied with 230V for charging the on-board batteries, and/or running the aircon, which is too much for 24V inverter power.

I’ve chassis-mounted a 3kVA generator, made cheaply by reverse-engineering a portable site generator, fitting it in a chassis box (rear LHS), then duplicating the starter and other controls in the cab and the camper. There’s a changeover switch in the cab to select either generator or ‘shore’ power.

I though this part of the work was finished until I remembered that the 2.5mm SY I’ve used for distributing the mains power is not rated for outdoor use. Oh dear.

So what to use instead? I liked the idea of SY as the braid gives a bit or protection, and it’s very visible for inspection.

What are the alternatives? It needs to be flex as it runs along and between a chassis and sub-frame which flexes, and up into the cab which tilts for servicing. NYY is no good as it’s solid-core.

I can only think of rubber HO7, or blue arctic. Neither of these have much mechanical protection, which, considering the conditions the vehicle will occasionally be used in, is not ideal.

I could fit it in flexible conduit but space in the loom is already a bit tight, and that would also render it invisible for inspection.

Or is SY maybe OK? It’s not like it will be sitting in brilliant sunshine (UV) for years. It’s shaded underneath the chassis area.

What would you do?
Looking at what you've done so far, I get the impression you're hands on and look after the vehicle, i'd be tempted to leave it if it's not exposed to the sun, keep an eye on it and if it shows signs of water ingress then replace it with HO7. Either way make sure there's no edges to harm it.
I'd turn the blue socket through 90 degrees so it faces down if you have space.

Looks like a nice job.

Looking at what you've done so far, I get the impression you're hands on and look after the vehicle, i'd be tempted to leave it if it's not exposed to the sun, keep an eye on it and if it shows signs of water ingress then replace it with HO7. Either way make sure there's no edges to harm it.
I'd turn the blue socket through 90 degrees so it faces down if you have space.

Looks like a nice job.
Oh I see most has already been said

Thanks, gentlemen, for the helpful advice. And apologies for the silence - I've been building a new workshop this month, just to keep the 'mog in, rather than play on the internet ...

The general consensus appears to be to go for H07RNF. I've ordered some 2.5 and various flexi conduits for where it passes metal edges, and some nylon spiral wrap to give additional mech protection. I only want to do this once, before adding the camper body renders access difficult, so I will replace all the SY regardless.

Good point about the 16A socket being the wrong way round. But if it's vertical, you can't get a plug in! I'll consider re-siting if it gets wet. That's a Famatel IP67 version though - apparently good for immersion, with no drain hole.

Reply to External connections to a generator on an offroad truck. What cable to use? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock