Discuss External earth loop Ze with switched fuse before CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Got a job where im having to do the usual testing.

I have never tested a set up where due to the tails needing to being so long to reach the consumer unit there has been a switched fuse, this is i believe a standard directive from the DNO the tails then terminate into swa and run from the communal meter cupboard in the corridor and then above fire proof ceiling tiles to the actual flat through the wall into the CU.

Set up is DNO head > meter > isolator > switched fuse switch > into SWA> run via ceiling cavity in hall way> enters CU in flat.

There is a separate earth cable from the DNO service head that doesn't terminate until it reaches the CU in the flat.

I have come across them but never done the testing myself when a switched fuse has been present.

When doing the Ze test normally you disconnect main earth from the supply and measure between line and disconnected earth to get Ze.

Given the presence on the fused switch, will it affect the results or testing procedure? As when comparing it to the typical max values from western power it kind of helps to know if what you got is a correctly obtained test result.

I have looked at guidance note 3 but not found a clear answer.

Should i test for Ze between the meter and fused switch out in the communal cupboard rather than the normal test at the consumer unit?. I will almost certainly have to use a wander lead to go from the flat to the cupboard to connect to earth.

It is just a case of where should i connect to line for the Ze test?

My view is if we really are testing at the origin then it would be best to test before the switched fuse.

any thoughts or advice?

Got a job where im having to do the usual testing.

I have never tested a set up where due to the tails needing to being so long to reach the consumer unit there has been a switched fuse, this is i believe a standard directive from the DNO the tails then terminate into swa and run from the communal meter cupboard in the corridor and then above fire proof ceiling tiles to the actual flat through the wall into the CU.

Set up is DNO head > meter > isolator > switched fuse switch > into SWA> run via ceiling cavity in hall way> enters CU in flat.

There is a separate earth cable from the DNO service head that doesn't terminate until it reaches the CU in the flat.

I have come across them but never done the testing myself when a switched fuse has been present.

When doing the Ze test normally you disconnect main earth from the supply and measure between line and disconnected earth to get Ze.

Given the presence on the fused switch, will it affect the results or testing procedure? As when comparing it to the typical max values from western power it kind of helps to know if what you got is a correctly obtained test result.

I have looked at guidance note 3 but not found a clear answer.

Should i test for Ze between the meter and fused switch out in the communal cupboard rather than the normal test at the consumer unit?. I will almost certainly have to use a wander lead to go from the flat to the cupboard to connect to earth.

It is just a case of where should i connect to line for the Ze test?

My view is if we really are testing at the origin then it would be best to test before the switched fuse.

any thoughts or advice?
Test fro the tail connection at the CU and note it as ZE@DB

If you decide to test at the s/fuse,remember to keep all earth leads connected/ parallel paths Zdb is tested this way.How will you test Ze without pulling the main fuse and disconnecting the earth lead.?

If you decide to test at the s/fuse,remember to keep all earth leads connected/ parallel paths Zdb is tested this way.How will you test Ze without pulling the main fuse and disconnecting the earth lead.?
the set up has a double pole isolator immediately after the meter before the switched fuse i can use to isolate the system to safely access the main supply tail in the switched fuse enclosure. the main earth is locked into the dno head and enclosure( there may or may not be a bar - but it has 2 seals) and not accessible until it enters the Cu in the flat so it looks like a job for the wander lead that is somewhere in my van.

It sounds to me like you cannot test Ze due to the incoming earth connection being inaccessible.

Testing from the far end of the earthing conductor you have won't give you Ze, it will Ze + the impedance of the cable, which is effectively Zs of the sub-main in your setup

Well i am going to test it at the tails entry terminals immediately before the switched fuse and use the main earth cable before it enters the CU. the earth lead in question is approx 14 metres long so will have its own noticeable impedance. i will note it on the test schedule as a limitation. beyond breaking the second seal on the DNO there is no clear solution.

So you will be getting your Ze by enquiry instead of testing it I presume?

Testing at the far end of the long earthing conductor will not give you Ze, it will be Ze plus the resistance of the earthing conductor.

Reply to External earth loop Ze with switched fuse before CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock