Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Extracta fans in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Adam_glover18

Adam_glover18 Trainee Trainee Access

Hi my names adam and in a apprentice and out of curiosity more than anything I was wondering if any 1 could explain how there wired? Am I right in saying there wired off the lighting circuit any help would be great Kind regards Adam

2. 1shortcircuit

1shortcircuit Guest

Some use the lighting circuit and 3 pole Isolator switch and others may use their own dedicated supply due to having humidity sensors.

What extractor fan are you trying to fit?;)

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    generally you would wire a fan say, in a bathroom, off the lighting circuit. usually, you feed a permanent live, switched live, and neutral, so as the fan would run on after the light is switched off. for maintenance purposes a 3 pole isolator is often fitted to isolate the fan without having to turn the lights off. manufacturers instructions may also call for the fan to be fused at 3A.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Adam_glover18

Cheers for the reply mate none I was at me nan's before an they got one an it starts when the lights are switched on I was just wondering was all lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Adam_glover18

Thanks very much for your replys ive wonder how they were wired for ages lol

6. bsrfc10

bsrfc10 EF Member

Domestically you can take them off of a lighting circuit, but need to go to an isolator first. Depending on type of extract fan take a 3core and earth if it needs a permanent feed and a switch wire, from the light fitting to an isolator and then from the isolator to the fan. if the extract has a manual pull cord then only a t&e from the fitting to the isolator and then on to the fan is needed.

7. Mark_Burgess

Mark_Burgess Electrician's Arms

When you have served your time and out on your first PIR, you will be cursing the fool that didn't put a fan on an isolator switch, and you will be wondering for a while why the insulation resistance is low.

8. Adam_glover18

Thanks a lot mate for your help pal

9. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Extracta fans

I used to, at one time, enjoy driving them,but not any more [​IMG]

10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    is extracta an italian football team?

11. Doomed

Doomed Electrician's Arms

I have found them wired up to the shower circuit in the past.....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paul.M

Paul.M Trusted Advisor

It wasn't taken straight from the shower pull cord without using a 3A fcu about 16 years ago was it? Sorry that was me while I was learning. I learned how loud my boss could shout at me in a bathroom and I've never done it since :).

13. Goody

Goody Solar Guru

Or wonder why that fan (with timer) refused to come on after you did an IR, applying 500 Volts across. :rolleyes4:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011