Discuss Extractor fan ducting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im looking for a way to vent a bathroom fan outside. The bathroom is downstairs in a flat and the only way I can route the ducting would be along with the joists, up in the corner of the room with the soil pipe and into the loft and then out through the soffit.
Is this okay to do? I would be using solid ducting. All I can think is that running it up hill is a bad idea..

You would need a very powerful fan to make that work !

I'm not so sure about that
The vertical ducting may give it a chimney effect,more likely if it went to a roof tile vent and coupled with using a centrifugal fan,I see enough hope that someone knowledgeable may give a positive response

You will get problems with condensation running back down the duct and getting into the fan so consider putting in a condensation trap, if the soil pipe is in the right place it should be able to drain the condensation directly into the soil but you may get some smells coming back into the room...

I've done long runs for cooker hoods before and added a second extractor fan at the far end powered from the first fan.

I would put an inline fan in the loft if I had to do this and just have the grille in the bathroom. That way any condensation forming in the long duct can't run down to the fan.
Check the manufacturers information for max lengths of ducting etc, you'll probably want a mixed flow fan to achieve good flow.

I would put an inline fan in the loft if I had to do this and just have the grille in the bathroom. That way any condensation forming in the long duct can't run down to the fan.
Check the manufacturers information for max lengths of ducting etc, you'll probably want a mixed flow fan to achieve good flow.
vent axia perhaps?

Reply to Extractor fan ducting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net