Discuss Fair Wage for my skill set? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Same here Doody! Hahaha. I've been working on and off sparking since I was 16. Think I only went up to 30 from 20 when I was 20! Fair Di's though, I was ****
Recently been given more responsibility. I'm now on fuse board duty.
Offered to fit a 12way board on a Sunday for £70 :eek: suppose how good a wage it is depends on how long it takes me. 4hours maybe?

(Just fitting, not testing it as well)

He's putting me up to 60 a day so I'm happy with that for another year. Hopefully get my driving done shortly and I'll be more valuable and I can ask for another raise, which will hopefully go a fair way of maintaining my van! That's my plan

Yeah mate, I'd give half a day to do a board. And 70 quid is cheap and you know it!!! Haha. My boss is doing board change and certs for 300 quid

Oh yeah I know this but it was either 70 or be forced to do it normal rate at over time. Also half a days wage deducted for being half an hour late.
A full hour i can understand but not having half a day docked.

He's putting me up to 60 a day so I'm happy with that for another year. Hopefully get my driving done shortly and I'll be more valuable and I can ask for another raise, which will hopefully go a fair way of maintaining my van! That's my plan
60 A day. How lucky.
£44 a day with transport and tools count your self lucky:D

70 quid ain't too bad for four hours work to be fair. Wow. You know what it could be worse, I could be you! Hahaha. Couldn't be arsed with that. I get picked up so I'm never late and don't have to use my own tools, which is a bonus. Definitely feeling a bit better about work now :D

70 quid ain't too bad for four hours work to be fair. Wow. You know what it could be worse, I could be you! Hahaha. Couldn't be arsed with that. I get picked up so I'm never late and don't have to use my own tools, which is a bonus. Definitely feeling a bit better about work now :D
Taking action if he does deduct for half a day, rang acas after work today. Let's see beginning of next month :D

Shame there's no apprenticeships about. Took me a year and a half for me to find one

Shame there's no apprenticeships about. Took me a year and a half for me to find one

Are they that hard to come by nowadays?

After the interview and aptitude tests. I ended up leaving the army on a Friday and started an apprenticeship on the following monday.

I've always been dead naive and thought they were mega easy to get on. There's me sounding all entitled :cool:

They're not hard to come about as long as you know someone in the trade without a bitch. Everyone needs a hand don't they and two people can turn a 10min job into a 2min job. If you don't know anybody, you're best off posting your CV in all the wholesalers in your town. From what I've seen they always manage to get a job

As a third year ------

If you worked for z JIB registered company you would get £10.17p an hour if working outside the M25 and more if working inside it (London rate)

Plus travel/periodic leave fares and Lodge at £193.60 (tax free) each week, if you qualified for it.

Yeah I reckon I might go JIB for a while and just travel round UK for a while on different sites. Get some good experience and learn some new stuff hopefully. My mate wants to go the Control 4 route and do custom electrics. Gonna look into both and see what's viable

Amen @LankyWill! Aha. Glad to hear you also been through difficult time with the boss! Aha. @anthonybragg I'm disappointed with the money I'm getting because I know if I went with someone else I could get a bit more, but it's not worth leaving for. Me and my boss don't see eye to eye all the time. I take my time, he rushes, I'm laid back, he's a stress head, he won't help me but I'm a gofer, he will watch me struggle and give me ****, but if he is struggling it's my fault for some reason. He doesn't teach me, I teach myself. If I make a mistake I'm a liability, if he makes a mistake it's my fault. You know, that kind of guy...
Everyone needs more money especially at a young age most of us understand that. However you do seem to be making issues with your boss a public matter by posting as you have here. For all you say you must at times have got on well and as you live close together each of you is convenient for the other. 25 is not a child or even a teenager but an adult, an age at which most on here I'm sure had completed their apprenticeship and were working fully qualified. To truly value your worth you need the necessary qualifications behind you, completed verified, saying the things you can do I have heard many say only to find that there are limitations in abilities when tested on site. Its your life so you must have a plan, consider whats missing at the moment that you should contribute, driving is essential and yes that may be difficult but it usually is for everyone thats not unique. Try talking to your boss find out what he needs you to do to be worth more money. Though you may assess your abilities it is he who needs to agree them. Just as a guide I would suggest you stop running your boss down however bad he may actually be. I have interviewed many people over the years and always tread warily where any prospective employee finds it necessary to condemn the person they are working for. Good luck in all you do.

Reply to Fair Wage for my skill set? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net