Discuss Fault current in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Diib I now that lol just been working out thermal constraints on my design protect and noticing the lower the zs the higher the fault current was wondering if anyone could explain why other than ohms law

Diib I now that lol just been working out thermal constraints on my design protect and noticing the lower the zs the higher the fault current was wondering if anyone could explain why other than ohms law

Hey, think basic maths.....230V/23ohms = 10amps...... 230V/230ohms = 1 amp, notice that the larger the figure you divide by, the lower the answer..its really that simple .....ohms law;)

as above. current is inversely proportional to resistance, voltage being constant.

So if are zs are to good ie a very low impedance surely are high fault current could possibly be dangerous

You're looking at this from completely the wrong direction, if there's a L-E fault you want a low earth impedance for two reasons, firstly to prevent the chassis of fittings and appliances developing high touch voltages which could cause someone to get a fatal shock, secondly a low earth impedance means a very large fault current flows which in turn means the OCPD disconnects the faulty circuit very quickly.

But with very low external impedance, comes rather large fault currents which may cause a few problems with your earthing conductor and the breaking capacity of your ocpd's

Really, I think you'll find the general B type breakers are 6kA, although with back up protection of your main fuse you'll get away with up to 16kA

I bet they're type C, the usual "domestic" type B breaker is rated at 6kA....Icn & Ics

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all the MG ones we use are rated for 10kA anyways :p
Granted there are 6Ka out there to :p

As a general rule of thumb nearly all breakers designed for 3 phase DBs are 10kA, and nearly all designed for domestic CU ranges are 6kA. You will get interchangeability with most manufacturers though.

Reply to Fault current in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock