Discuss Fault finding for prospective clients in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had a call today from a prospective client who runs the maintenance for a small block of flats. They want a price for a EICR for the communal power. This bit is straight forward. In addition he explained that there are 2 x outside lights which are faulty (cause unknown). Also a light in the communal porch operated by a timer that isn't working (again cause unknown). They want a price for the whole lot.

i tried explaining that I couldnt quote for the remedial work since it requires investigation and I couldn't say at this stage what that might involve.

they invited me to visit the site to take a look before submitting a price. What do you guys do here. Do you play it hard and tell them that the fault finding will cost x amount per hour and leave it with them - I can sympathise here with the client as they likely won't want to write an open cheque. Or do you suck it up and spend 30-60min fault finding with a view to submitting a price for a job you may not get?!!

im a start up company and have no history with this client. Equally they have no reason to trust me.

what do you think the best way is to proceed with these types of enquiries?

dan

I do work for various blocks of flats.

For "maintenance" type work I simple charge them my normal commercial rates after its fixed.

Anything "new" I provide an estimate and seek authorisation to proceed.

If you went to give a quote you would spend some time (not too much) assessing the job, so you can also spend this time assessing what would be needed to find the fault. Then you can either advise you will charge your hourly rate for one hour to investigate and possibly repair the fault, if after investigation the fault is more in depth then once you have spent the hour you should be able to give a better estimate, even if it is, at most I will have to spend one day demolishing the lighting circuit!!

For fault-finding, I tend to explain that the only way I can give a fixed price is if I give a fairly high one - to cover most eventualities - and that I prefer to do this type of work on an hourly rate - that way I can charge a fair rate for the work done.

However, I do make a few exceptions, e.g. if part of a bigger package of work and being a bit out won't hurt too much.

Reply to Fault finding for prospective clients in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net